• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MRaddatz

I have been working with children for about 10 years. I volunteer at a camp for children that are burn survivors. About 17 months ago, I adopted an 13 year old boy from the camp. Following the adoption he changed personality completely, and has turned into a budding criminal. He has assaulted his mother (my ex-wife) twice (broken ribs and punctured lung the last time) stolen and totaled our car. He has taken credit cards and money, cut school repeatedly, and continues to abuse alcohol and drugs. I recently discovered some involvement with gang activity. Needless to say counseling, mentors, AA, NA, ect.. has not helped, and I am reaching wits end. He is currently in custody and is heading for a long term stay at group home

I have been raising him, and my other adopted children, as a single father, but this is too much. To protect myself, and my family, from litigation resulting from his actions, I am considering, a termination of parental rights, and/or a disruption of the adoption.

What are my rights and responsibilities in this case?

What are the steps that I should be taking now, and in the future to protect my family from litigation?

Thanks

MikeR

LegalBeagle

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
usdeeper said:
I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Just how serious are you about getting rid of this kid?

IAAL
Que the Mexico solution ..
My response:

Well, this time I was thinking of Bolivia.

IAAL
Actually Bolivia is currently enjoying a state of emergency so it may be difficult to get entry. Paraguay has had a military uprising so they might be interested in some new recruits.

M

MRaddatz

How Serious, Interesting Question

Serious?? I have worked for three years with this child. Having allowed him into my home cost me my marriage, my retirement funds, my home, my car, and endangered my other adopted children. I have used all of my annual leave on court appearances, attended numerious counsoling sessions, visits with multipule therapasts, and received nothing but contempt from the child.

I am now concerned with limiting my liability, and protecting the family that I have left. He will be getting what help, that is available, from the state from now on.

SO YES I am VERY Serious...

MikeR

M

MRaddatz

On the subject of pigs...

I am very familiar with the works of Robert Heinlien, however my personality is such, that I was required that I try...

MikeR

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You saw my posts, above, about Bolivia.

Every so often, a parent or other guardian, writes to us about a recalcitrant child. There's really nothing that you can do about, from a legal standpoint. Under most State laws, and with such a child, a parent has everything to lose, and nothing to gain. Most States have laws against "touching" a child - - so, corporal punishment is out. And, worst of all, the kids know this, and use it as a weapon against the parent.

So, the only realistic thing you can do is take the kid on a trip, far, far away - - preferably a far away foreign country.

When you get to your destination, make sure the kid has only a little bit of money, and when the opportunity arises, get back on the airplane - - alone.

Problem solved.

IAAL

MySonsMom

IAAL: <<Most States have laws against "touching" a child - - so, corporal punishment is out.>>

I'm assuming that spanking is a form of corporal punishment. Can you clarify, and if so what states have laws against it...Thanks hon! :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MySonsMom said:
IAAL: <<Most States have laws against "touching" a child - - so, corporal punishment is out.>>

I'm assuming that spanking is a form of corporal punishment. Can you clarify, and if so what states have laws against it...Thanks hon! :)

My response:

There are innumerable sites on the Net concerning my search of "Corporal Punishment" - - as opposed to "Captain Punishment", or even "Sergeant Punishment".

As one example, check this chart concerning laws in all of the States:

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/corpchrt.htm

You can find many sites about punishment both at home, and in school.

IAAL

MySonsMom

Ick IAAL..When trying to find if there is a law against spanking as a form of discipline, I encountered too many dirty sites...ICK!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">