• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Twins Taken

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rhondi

I live in the state of Texas. I had twins with another man while I was seperated from my husband. We've not been together for 9 of our 10yr. marriage. I was with the father of the twins for almost 7yrs. We had problems and broke up. He had the kids because of my bad luck. He went to court and got sole custody. I got possessory. I now am supposed to pay $620.00 in child support. I make $6.50 p/hr because of lack of transportation. I also have another son who I support on my own. I need to know of some way to modify the orders and reduce child support, or even, to get my kids back. I have very little, or no money for a lawyer. Please help!

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rhondi:
I live in the state of Texas. I had twins with another man while I was seperated from my husband. We've not been together for 9 of our 10yr. marriage. I was with the father of the twins for almost 7yrs. We had problems and broke up. He had the kids because of my bad luck. He went to court and got sole custody. I got possessory. I now am supposed to pay $620.00 in child support. I make $6.50 p/hr because of lack of transportation. I also have another son who I support on my own. I need to know of some way to modify the orders and reduce child support, or even, to get my kids back. I have very little, or no money for a lawyer. Please help!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What has happened that meant you have lost custody of 3 children ?

How much was you earning when the 620 was set ?

MySonsMom

Most likely you will not get the kids back, if you have already been to court and he was granted sole custody. If you have a less paying job now, and can't afford your child support then you can file for a reduction in child support. I'm not saying you will get it, but you can try. It will all depend on why you are making so much less now; the reasons for the pay decrease.

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

[This message has been edited by MySonsMom (edited November 01, 2000).]

R

rhondi

The court papers state that I was earning $1775.00 p/mo. I used to make that much when the twins father and I were together but, not for quite awhile now. I guess his lawyer figured it on old taxes. I have had my eldest son with me his entire life and been his only support.

R

rhondi

Also, I did not go to court. He tricked me and said that he needed my address to send me consent forms I needed to fill out for my son's disability. I received a citation instead. I had no idea I was supposed to go. Plus, I had no money for an attorney when I received the court documents. This happened last Dec. and I am now finally trying to work things out.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rhondi:
Also, I did not go to court. He tricked me and said that he needed my address to send me consent forms I needed to fill out for my son's disability. I received a citation instead. I had no idea I was supposed to go. Plus, I had no money for an attorney when I received the court documents. This happened last Dec. and I am now finally trying to work things out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you recieved court documents informing you of action against you and you did nothing ?. So the court date went ahead and he was awarded custody in your absence ?

Sorry, but without an attorney, you do not have much chance at getting custody back, your best chance is to petition for a reduction in CS if you can prove why you are no longer earning the old amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">