• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unborn child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bigmoe

#1 I have a 17yr old daughter that have become pregnant by a 21 yr old. If she had a abortion can so agree on her own?

#2 Done the father have any legal rights to the unborn child?

N

newmom

First of all, I believe she CAN decide on an abortion (this may depend on your state, but usuall at 17 a child is "of age").

Second, as for the rights of the father to the unborn child - what rights are you referring to?? No, he doesn't have the right to tell her she CAN'T have an abortion or to tell her she HAS to have one.

Once the child is born, however, the two then have equal right to the child (no adoption can happen without both signatures), and even if she does not put his name on the birth certificate (if he is interested in the child at all) he can request a paternity test to determine if he is indeed the father and then have his name included on the BC and then comes all the custody and child support/visitation orders or "agreements" if they decided to do it that way. However, I don't suggest (and I don't think you'll find anyone on this board who DOES suggest) doing this on your own. MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS COURT ORDERED if she decideds to have and keep this child. This way it's ordered by a court and the only way to change any of it is to go back to court and have the order changed.

B

Bigmoe

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by newmom:
First of all, I believe she CAN decide on an abortion (this may depend on your state, but usuall at 17 a child is "of age").

Second, as for the rights of the father to the unborn child - what rights are you referring to?? No, he doesn't have the right to tell her she CAN'T have an abortion or to tell her she HAS to have one.

Once the child is born, however, the two then have equal right to the child (no adoption can happen without both signatures), and even if she does not put his name on the birth certificate (if he is interested in the child at all) he can request a paternity test to determine if he is indeed the father and then have his name included on the BC and then comes all the custody and child support/visitation orders or "agreements" if they decided to do it that way. However, I don't suggest (and I don't think you'll find anyone on this board who DOES suggest) doing this on your own. MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS COURT ORDERED if she decideds to have and keep this child. This way it's ordered by a court and the only way to change any of it is to go back to court and have the order changed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MySonsMom

&lt;&lt;First of all, I believe she CAN decide on an abortion (this may depend on your state, but usuall at 17 a child is "of age").&gt;&gt;

Even if she isn't "of age" to decide on her own, they Mother can give her the "permission" I beleive. Since this is the Mother posting, the girl can get an abortion either on her own or with her Mother's permission. This is the impression that I get regarding abortions and minors. NewMom is right, the Father has no rights to this child until the child is born. Since your daughter is carrying this child, she decided everything regarding what is done and not done to her body. Good luck!

------------------
**MySonsMom**
~There is no love like the unconditional love of a Mother~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">