• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what can i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

elvyra00

I HAVE TWO SONS WHO WERE VISITING WITH THEIR FATHER AND HE BEAT UP THEIR STEP MOM IN FRONT OF THEM AND WAS TEACHING MY 13 YR OLD HOW TO SHOPLIFT.THIS MAN IS AN ALCOHOLIC AND HAS A DOCUMENTED HISTORY OF THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR. I LIVE IN NC AND HE LIVES IN FL. I HAVE PRIMARY CUSTODY. WHAT SHOULD BE MY FIRST STEP TO ENSURE HE DOES NOT HAVE CONTACT WITH MY SONS UNTIL HE CLEANS UP HIS ACT OR UNTIL THEY ARE 18 IF POSSIBLE.THEY ARE 11 AND 13 NOW.

U

usdeeper

Do you know if the police were called or a report was filed ?

Personally I would stop visitation NOW. They are old enough for a judge to listen to and if the act was more than just a slap, then you should be able to go to court and change the visitation to be supervised.

As for legal action, you have two choices. Wait for him to initiate legal procedings or start them yourself. Call some local attornies and discuss it with them.. you can generally get a free 30 minute consultation with most attornies.

------------------
:) SMILE - Start Making It Livable for Everyone

Divorce is a process over which children have no control. Children should not be its victims.
When parents are under stress, it is harder to be in touch with their children's pain and anguish.
It takes time, effort, and planning on the part of the parents to be able to provide for the children's needs.
In the crisis of divorce, parents may put their children on hold while they attend to adult problems first.
Sometimes separating/divorced parents find that their roles and expectations are undefined and cloudy.
If handled properly, divorce need not be devastating for children.

E

elvyra00

yes a report was filed and he has been charged but he is out on bale and in a va hospital.he is a vet and i am sure his wife will try to get the charges dropped she is from the phillipines and doesnt really understand she is in danger and i am sure she is afraid of him too. my problem is getting my kids away from this man totally.he has manipulated my 13 yr old so much he is very confused and in denial.although he does understand my feelings about it all and is not angry that i dont want any contact with his father.his father has been previously charged with 5 misdemeanor assaults and was on intensive probation for 5 yrs and only served 3 yrs of it.he has also been charged with shoplifting twice. real nice fellow!!

U

usdeeper

It does not matter if the charges are dropped, there will still be a police report. Unfortunately not all states have adopted the CA way of taking the prosecution out of the hands of the victim.

With the evidence you have, you should be able to get a court to change the visitation to short visits and supervised. The children are obviously in danger, if not from him directly, then from the effects of being with him.

As I stated above, contact some local attornies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">