• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if SD quits high school?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ronne

Indiana Hi! Haven't been here in awhile, but have a question and knew this was the place to come. DH finally got copies of his daughters school records (after 4 letters sent Certified-Return Receipt). Keep in mind DH hasn't had visitation since Dec. of 97. The SD is 14 now, and with the looks of her grades, it doesn't look like she is going to graduate. Also, last year she was late to school 22 times. As things stand now, a child must pass the ISTEP test in order to receive a diploma.

My DH pays CS and medical ins. IF the child would quit school, would DH continue paying support or does she emancipate automatically? I've read the Indiana Codes, but am still unclear about this.
Is anyone familiar with a situation like this?

W

Waldo

What happens is she'll probably have a sad life (apparently already does, with a record like that?)
But your concern was support. No, he gets out of it.

W

Waldo

p.s.
In most states, you can't quit school until you are 16. Sorry

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ronne:
Indiana Hi! Haven't been here in awhile, but have a question and knew this was the place to come. DH finally got copies of his daughters school records (after 4 letters sent Certified-Return Receipt). Keep in mind DH hasn't had visitation since Dec. of 97. The SD is 14 now, and with the looks of her grades, it doesn't look like she is going to graduate. Also, last year she was late to school 22 times. As things stand now, a child must pass the ISTEP test in order to receive a diploma.

My DH pays CS and medical ins. IF the child would quit school, would DH continue paying support or does she emancipate automatically? I've read the Indiana Codes, but am still unclear about this.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I have reviewed the Indiana Code on this subject. Child support continues to the age of 21 if the child goes to college. However, under no circumstances, other than emancipation by marriage or court order, will child support terminate until the age of 18.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

R

Ronne

Thanks for the responses. I certainly don't think she will be going on to college, unless she does a complete 360!

Yes, it's sad, and she probably has a sad life, but my husband is unwelcome in her life and therefore, can't help her.

I am aware that a child can't quit school until they reach the age of 16. But, we anticipate her quitting school shortly after that, if her grades keep on like they have been.

Thanks again for the responses!

P

Parent1

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ronne:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What happened to the parents? It is the parents responsibility to ensure that the child succeeds in school and completes it as well. The law is different in many states concerning support if a child is not attending school. However, if the cusdodial parent has allowed this situation to occur, it may be an opportunity for the other parent to seek custody, thus requiring the original parent to provide support.

Either way, the parents have failed this child. Don't give up on her on. She lives under your roof!

R

Ronne

Who's roof? The child has refused to visit since 12/97. If anyone has failed the child, it has been her MOTHER!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">