• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is Indiana law regarding ex required to help with college exepenses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

indiana mom

I am an Indiana mom w/a 17 yr old son that is presently a Junior in high school. He will be 19 when he graduates high school and starts college. I have two questions that I need some advice regarding support and education:

1. Will my ex be required to continue paying support while my son is a full time student either in college or attending a technical school of some type?

2. Are both parents responsible for paying for higher education in the state of Indiana? Do I have a "legal leg to stand on"?

I have not discussed either issue w/my ex yet, and I want to be fully aware of my rights before doing so. We divorced in 1986 and I only receive $60 wkly and have not increased his support since the beginning. I have remarried and financialy I have not had to request an increase. I have been very fair in the past, now he needs to help.

Please advise.

[This message has been edited by indiana mom (edited October 05, 2000).]

R

Ronne

I am an Indiana STEP-mom.

Parents are required by Indiana law to support their children until the age of 21. The way I understand Indiana Code, if the child graduates from high school and enrolls in college or equiv., then child support continues.

Unless it was written in your divorce decree, your ex does not HAVE to help pay for college. He WILL have to continue paying child support, though, while your child is in school.

If your child decides not to go to college or should go and then drop out, your ex can petition the Court to have the support modified or terminated altogether.

U

usdeeper

Spot on Ronne...

IC 31-16-6
Chapter 6. Child Support Orders

IC 31-16-6-1
Sec. 1. In an action for dissolution of marriage under IC 31-15-2, legal separation under IC 31-15-3, or child support under IC 31-16-2, the court may order either parent or both parents to pay any amount reasonable for support of a child, without regard to marital misconduct, after considering all relevant factors, including:
(1) the financial resources of the custodial parent;
(2) the standard of living the child would have enjoyed if:
(A) the marriage had not been dissolved; or
(B) the separation had not been ordered;
(3) the physical or mental condition of the child and the child's educational needs; and
(4) the financial resources and needs of the noncustodial parent.
As added by P.L.1-1997, SEC.8.

IC 31-16-6-2
Sec. 2. (a) The child support order or an educational support order may also include, where appropriate:
(1) amounts for the child's education in elementary and secondary schools and at institutions of higher learning, taking into account:
(A) the child's aptitude and ability;
(B) the child's reasonable ability to contribute to educational expenses through:
(i) work;
(ii) obtaining loans; and
(iii) obtaining other sources of financial aid reasonably available to the child and each parent; and
(C) the ability of each parent to meet these expenses;
(2) special medical, hospital, or dental expenses necessary to serve the best interests of the child; and
(3) fees mandated under Title IV-D of the federal Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 651 through 669).
(b) If the court orders support for a child's educational expenses at an institution of higher learning under subsection (a), the court shall reduce other child support for that child that:
(1) is duplicated by the educational support order; and
(2) would otherwise be paid to the custodial parent.

IC 31-16-6-3
Sec. 3. As part of the child support order the court may set apart the part of the property of either parent or both parents that appears necessary and proper for the support of the child.

IC 31-16-6-4
Sec. 4. A child support order may also include, where appropriate, basic health and hospitalization insurance coverage for the child. If,

however, the Title IV-D agency initiates action to establish a support obligation and petitions the court to include basic health and hospitalization insurance coverage in the support order, the court shall consider including a provision for insurance coverage for the child if the insurance coverage:
(1) is available to the parent ordered to pay child support or the dependents of the parent as part of the parent's employee benefit plan; or
(2) is available at reasonable cost to the parent ordered to pay child support.

IC 31-16-6-5
Sec. 5. Upon entering an order under section 1 of this chapter, the court may provide for such security, bond, or other guarantee that is satisfactory to the court to secure the obligation to make child support payments.

IC 31-16-6-6
Sec. 6. (a) The duty to support a child under this chapter ceases when the child becomes twenty-one (21) years of age unless any of the following conditions occurs:
(1) The child is emancipated before becoming twenty-one (21) years of age. In this case the child support, except for the educational needs outlined in section 2(a)(1) of this chapter, terminates at the time of emancipation, although an order for educational needs may continue in effect until further order of the court.
(2) The child is incapacitated. In this case the child support continues during the incapacity or until further order of the court.
(3) The child:
(A) is at least eighteen (18) years of age;
(B) has not attended a secondary or postsecondary school for the prior four (4) months and is not enrolled in a secondary or postsecondary school; and
(C) is or is capable of supporting himself or herself through employment.
In this case the child support terminates upon the court's finding that the conditions prescribed in this subdivision exist. However, if the court finds that the conditions set forth in clauses (A) through (C) are met but that the child is only partially supporting or is capable of only partially supporting himself or herself, the court may order that support be modified instead of terminated.
(b) For purposes of determining if a child is emancipated under subsection (a)(1), if the court finds that the child:
(1) has joined the United States armed services;
(2) has married; or
(3) is not under the care or control of:
(A) either parent; or
(B) an individual or agency approved by the court;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the court shall find the child emancipated and terminate the child support.

IC 31-16-6-7
Sec. 7. (a) Unless otherwise agreed in writing or expressly provided in the order, provisions for child support are terminated:
(1) by the emancipation of the child; but
(2) not by the death of the parent obligated to pay the child support.
(b) If the parent obligated to pay support dies, the amount of support may be modified or revoked to the extent just and appropriate under the circumstances on petition of representatives of the parent's estate.

IC 31-16-6-8
(Repealed by P.L.197-1997, SEC.29.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">