• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When can you change the locks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carla123

I'm sure the ball is in my husbands court, but I just wanted to check. I moved out two weeks ago under what I thought were amicable terms. I'm at my parents temporarily and my husband agreed I could leave all of my things in the house until I could find a permanent place. When I picked my daugther up this evening I noticed he had changed the locks. Can he do that while my things are still in there?

A

AMomInNC

As I understand it (at least in NC), as soon as you vacate the house it's his to do with as he wishes.

You could get a police officer or sheriff's deputy to accompany you to the house to pick up your things if you fear for your safety going alone.

------------------
~God gave me three angels!~

C

carla123

Thanks NC Mom. Is it a coincidence that I'm in NC or did you see it on my profile? Anyway, I had the same thoughts as you. I guess this won't be as civil as I thought. The bad part is, even though I still had my key to the original lock, I wouldn't even have considered going in without him there. This has really put me on the defensive.

Thanks for your post!

A

AMomInNC

Carla, I didn't know you were in NC. :)

When I left my first husband, after several years of physical & mental abuse, I left with just the clothes on my back and my son's diaper bag. I was told by the police that the only way I could get my things was to go in when he wasn't home and as they said, I could "Back a U-Haul up and take everything in the house" as long as there wasn't a seperation agreement signed with distribution of property outlined. I didn't do this, but I did take 4 sheriff's deputies with me to get my things. (When I left, he basically chased me from the house with a shotgun - nice huh?)

As I understand it, your things are still YOUR things until you get a distribution of property, so you can get them, you should have an officer accompany you though, just to be safe!

Email me if you want: [email protected].

------------------
~God gave me three angels!~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">