• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why dad's last name on birth certificate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

D. D. Lessenberry

I'm just curious as to why many single moms later want to change baby's last name to biodads

LegalBeagle

It is so they can enjoy the pleasure of further court battles. Nothing like taking a picnic for a day at the court house...

T

Tigres

LegalBeagle said:
It is so they can enjoy the pleasure of further court battles. Nothing like taking a picnic for a day at the court house...
LOL... Actually, I can understand if the parents later become re involved or even marry.

I, on the other hand, wish that my daughter had my last name. Since my ex has a virtually non existent presence in her life, it would make things much simpler for her to have my last name, or at least a hyphenation of the two!

Tig

D

D. D. Lessenberry

You people crack me up! Thanx for the answers. I thought it was so these singlemoms could be called "Mrs" by every Doctor, school person etc.

You see, I kept my maiden name. My daughter, whom I'll call Arnola Ownsby, has her dad's (my husband's) last name.

I would fall over dead if any dentist, teacher, principal, scout leader, or Native American (I'm politically correct) Chief would call me Ms. Lessenberry. They insist on calling me Mrs. Ownsby!

I live in a GREAT METROPOLIS, seeking truth, justice, and the American Way. Haven't these people ever heard of divorce and remarriage?

For example, if I divorced Mr. Ownsby and married John Robert Gregg, I'd be Mrs. Gregg and Arnola would still be Ownsby!

Is it the "Ms." that gets them?

Attn: LegalBeagle--I used paragraphs, too.

LOL and LMAO,

D. D.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">