• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BENDOVER

POSTED BEFORE, LIVE IN ILLINOIS.PREVIOSLY HAD JOINT CUSTODY,EX SIGNED GUARDIANSHIP OVER TO ME TO JOIN RESERVES.(ON FILE AT THE COURTHOUSE)
MOTHER IS BACK,BUT CHILD STILL LIVES WITH ME, AND HAS FOR YEAR AND A HALF.EX HAS APPLIED FOR MEDICAL AID THROUGH THE STATE FOR HERSELF AND THE CHILD,NOW THE STATE HAS SENT ME PAPERS ASKING ME TO PAY SUPPORT.CAN THEY DO THIS?
SHE LIVES WITH ME ,AND IVE COVERED ALL EXPENSES WITH NO HELP FROM HER MOTHER SINCE GUARDIANSHIP STARTED.SHE ALSO CLAIMED THE CHILD ON TAXES EVEN THOUGH SHE LIVED WITH ME THE WHOLE YEAR.WHAT SHOULD I DO?

LegalBeagle

Reply back to the state and tell them exactly what you have told us.

Did you claim for the child on your taxes ? If so, do nothing or write to the IRS.. either way you are in the clear.

B

BENDOVER

NO,I DID NOT CLAIM HER ON TAXES. WHEN MY ACCOUNTANT TRIED TO FILE FOR AN ACCELERATED REFUND,THE IRS SHOWED THAT MY EX HAD ALREADY CLAIMED HER.

B

BENDOVER

NO,I DID NOT CLAIM HER ON TAXES. WHEN MY ACCOUNTANT TRIED TO FILE FOR AN ACCELERATED REFUND,THE IRS SHOWED THAT MY EX HAD ALREADY CLAIMED HER.

LegalBeagle

Then you should write to the IRS and inform them of her fraud and that you were denied a refund because of it. Also, in future, get your taxes done early and send a copy of the court order showing that you have custody.

On a seperate point, get back to court and have the guardianship changed to a proper court ordered physical custody agreement.

B

BENDOVER

THANKS FOR THE REPLY.VERY HELPFUL. IVE CONSIDERED TAKING EX BACK TO COURT , BUT EVEN THOUGH SHES NOT EXTREMELY INVOLVED,SHE TAKES ME WANTING PERMANENT PHYSICAL CUSTODY AS AN INSULT TO HER PARENTING SKILLS.IT WOULD TURN INTO A WAR THAT I DONT WANT TO CHANCE LOOSING.SHES FINE WITH THE ARRANGEMENT AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T APEAR THAT SHES FAILED AS A MOTHER.LET HER KEEP HER PRIDE , AS LONG AS MY DAUGHTER IS HERE AND HAPPY.
ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">