• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would very much like to see or hear from my children?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ishepherdu

Dear Ones,

I haven't seen or heard from my children in 8 yrs. and I don't know what
to do in a legal sense. They live with the
x-wife and I have written numerous times
to her and the children. And can you imagine,
how it feels to have never received a single
word from them in eight years. Especially when they are receiving monthly child-support from me on a continual basis. I feel absolutely exasperated and cannot really afford the services of a christian-minded
attorney(because I live on disability payments) and I live in another state than where my children live. I was a good father
to the children,(I raised them in the disciplines of godly wisdom) and now the
children are 15,12,and 10. And I don't hear from them or x, even if I write importunately
all the time? Where do I go from here? I would be eternally grateful to any attorney
or sympathic person who can offer me some practical wisdom! Thank you!

usmcfamily

As this was a divorce proceeding and you were ordered to pay child support I have to wonder if there were not also stipulations for visitation in the decree - what specifically is stated in the decree in regards to custody/visitation?
If there were specified visitation provisions (which I really think there must have been)then all you have to do is to inform your ex-wife that you will be exercising your rights and give her notice of when you will be there to visit your children - if she attempts to deny you the visit it is to court you go - charging her with contempt of court for violating the order - and you will have the courts assist you in enforcing your rights to visit.
If, by some fluke, there are no provisions for you to have visitation you need to petition the original court where the decree was issued to have rights put in place. As to financial issues - I suggest you find a father's rights advocacy group in your state/region and contact them -- they can put you in contact with an attorney who SPECIALIZES in father's rights to assist you with this and more often than not at a very reduced rate and with easy finance plans to get this done....don't let $$ stand between you and your children. I should warn you that having let eight years go before pursuing this will complicate matters for you - in court and with your children as it is doubtful your ex has spent eight years telling them you are a great dad so if you do get visitation you may be facing a long battle in re-gaining a relationship with the children.
Good luck and God Bless

D

debnie

My husband is also going through a simular situation. The mom has told the kids for years what a looser he his, hiding the kids, changing the phone number etc. Said that he has never paid child support etc. Even though the child support has been paid every month. Yes, he goes back to court, sees them, and then they move. It is going to be hard getting the ball rolling with the kids for him, but worth it in the long run.

If only people realized that kids need money and the other parent.

good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">