• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401(k) laws: employers responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jon Wilson

What is the name of your state?CA

I have recently resigned my position on January 17, 2005 from an employer. I have a 401(k) account with them and have not received any information on the options I have for this account. What are the laws regarding the timeframes the company must provide the options for the 401(k) program? And where can I find a reference for these laws to read up on myself?

2-15-05
FYI. I have contacted the company that has my 401(k) account. They have advised me that the company that I was employed with has not notified them of my change of employment status. They are sending the appropriate paperwork to me via USPS so that I can get the information completed while the company notifys them of my status change.

P.S. I have notified the company (I resigned from) that my resignation has not been processed by the HR department.

Last edited:

Beth3

I have a 401(k) account with them and have not received any information on the options I have for this account. Have you ASKED the employer for information on your options and a Distribution Form? It's up to you to start the ball rolling on this.

TWool

Request distribution

Exactly, Beth has hit the nail on the head... it is up to you to formally request of the trustees of the plan to distribute your funds from the plan. The distribution package that is sent to you will have options for you to choose how you wish your distribution to be made... rollover or lump sum. Complete it and return to the address they tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">