• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k question, is this legal or not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pleaseanswer

Hired in 2011. Company offers and gives 3% for 6% 401k match, 6 year vesting. Company only gives match once per year, around Feb.

In Jan 2015 company says that they will not be contributing for previous year. The notice came out at the time the contribution should've been deposited.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It may be legal or it may not. It depends on whether the plan document says that the match is discretionary or not.

I have not read your company's plan document and neither has anyone else here.

davew128

While CBG's answer is correct, that match is almost assuredly discretionary as being mandatory could put the owners and higher paid employees in a situation where they can't put anything in for themselves or they'd fail discrimination testing. I've seen places jump through hoops returning contributions to owners at companies where a lot of eligible lower paid employees didn't contribute to the plan (which is the actual problem mathematically).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">