• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

414h run-around

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rezgrl

Arizona--Your Question:

My employer neglected to take out my contributions to my 414h for most of last year, and also did not put in their matching amount. (I started in January but HR said she was "too busy" to process the paperwork until November, and I have been getting the run-around ever since I questioned my W2.) Now, as of the 14th, they tell me the whole amount has to be in by the end of this month (our fiscal year). This leaves me a bit strapped for cash, but I can do it. Now I'm told that my contribution must be made after taxes--is this true? Don't they also owe for lost income? Am I bound by their deadline or is that a bluff? The investment company says the employer is responsible for providing information about the account, and the employer keeps giving me the number of someone at the company who I can never reach.

Meanwhile, contributions made since last November are NOT showing up online and I've never gotten a statement. I'm told this is because they're only updated annually, in July.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not familiar with the regs for a 414, but I do know they're considered a defined benefit plan which means they are governed under ERISA. The regulatory agency for ERISA plans is the US DOL. Can't hurt for you to give them a call.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">