• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

90 days health insurance, insurance first day, then after leaving says was a mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sephiro499

What is the name of your state?
Maryland

Went to work for a small IT company (about 5 employees) on june 19th 2006. My boss and their bookkeeper told me I would have health coverage the first day of employment and I filled out the forms accordingly (I signed them and they filled out the rest, don't have copies).I received my health insurance cards, registered online using UHC's online system, picked a primary card docotor and off I went.

I left the company, er was 'fired' on 8/21, shortly thereafter I received a letter from the physcial therapy firm where I was receiving pt that my bills haven't been paid. I called the insurance company and was told that they couldn't speak to me unless my employer called on my behalf. My past employer just stonewalled and told me to mail my bills to them and they would look over them.

Sent a letter off to the MD insurance commission, they said that my previous employer has agreed to pay my past due insurance bills because my employer had made a 'mistake' regarding when I was eligible for coverage. How can they just make a 'mistake'? Since when does an insurance company make a 'mistake'? Don't they verify these things when they are submitted?

I was fired under dubious circumstances and the unemployment commission ruled correctly and agreed to give me unemployment benefits (not after going back and forth between me and my employer 4 times, they were just making up stuff towards the end).

I have my employee agreement which specifies that they will provide health coverage (they paid 100%) but it does not specify when it would start.

""" Employer agrees to supply employee with health insurance and dental insurance, if required, and not to exceed partnersâ__ contribution. """"

Not only was the basis for my firing erroneous, but not even being able to purchase COBRA even if I wanted to has really screwed me up physically since I had to stop my PT. I'm now paying for PT with another firm out of pocket, once a week. I even had to start therapy since the firing really took a toll on me (I loved the job). Of course I had to pay out of pocket for therapy too.

One of my health insurance claims was paid in july by UHC from my primary care doctor, so at least in UHC's system I had valid health coverage. I even have an official COBRA health care portability letter from UHC themselves which has my hire and fire dates correct, but when I called UHC they said in the system it just showed 6/19 to 6/19 (the day that I started employment).

After I left they said they had 'discovered' the error. I've never worked for a more unscrupulous outfit. Do I have any legal recourse at all? I can provide more information if needed, I just tried to highlight the important points.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Mistakes do happen. No one is immune from them, not insurance companies, not employers...I suspect not even you.

UHC would put your insurance into effect on the date your employer told them to.

Your employer is paying your bills despite the fact that they are not legally obligated to. So where are they being unscrupulous?

moburkes

And, like you said, the employer made a mistake in regards to the insurance company. The insurance company didn't make the mistake. But, what would make you think that PEOPLE don't make mistakes? Who do you think works at the insurance companies? Robots that don't make mistakes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">