• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accrued Vac. Pay taken away?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daveyswr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am hourly and recently have had my employer take 35 hours off of my accrued vacation pay when he decided that any time off that was unexcused would result in losing equal time in accrued vacation time. (decided in June and taken away from since January) Apart from the fact that it is up to him what is considered unexcused time off...is it legal to take from your accrued vacation time. It also seems that he is quite biased to some employee's excusable time off. What are my options?

mlane58

Does your employe have a policy on vacation and how is earned? If they do, take a copy and make a complaint with you state DOL.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
PA is not one of the few states that considers vacation time to be earned wages, so unless there is something IN WRITING that prohibits this it's probably legal. I don't see much difference between this and requiring the use of vacation time for the unexcused absences, which is unquestionably legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">