• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alternative payee on pension plan ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gmluna1951

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

My wife was getting a monthly check from her deceased fathers pension plan, we were told by phone this payment was for life and even got a letter from the HR department that stated so. They stopped the payments in 2010 saying it was supposed to be for only 10 years to her father but with him deceased before the 10 years was up, she was to get the remainder, which they now say was supposed to end a few months later. But, she kept getting payments until 2010 and then they sent a letter saying they were stopping the checks and they had over paid her for many years. So, payments were stopped. I called them and told them we had a letter saying the payments were to be for life but I couldn't find the letter.I just now found the letter, 3 years later and sent it to them. Now they say the letter was a mistake and they will not be restarting the payments. Since we have a letter as proof that the payments were to be for her lifetime, do we have a legal leg to stand on to force them to live up to their letter ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry, but this forum is for US law only.

And, it appears the letter was in error.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">