• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Benefits deducted but not paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BellaK

State: WA
My husband was working for a union employer. His employer was deducting (in addition to the required federal deductions) money for my husband union vacation fund, his pension and his health and welfare benefits. In May I went to fill a prescription and discovered our union health insurance had been cancelled.

Upon contacting the union hall and the adminstrators of the health and welfare I discovered that his employer had not paid anything into my husbands benefits since Jan 2006.

Once the employer was confronted about not paying the benefits and ourinsurance being cancelled he promptly laid my husband off.

Do we have any type of recourse? Seeing as how thousands of dollars has been deducted from my husbands checks but none of it paid including almost $1000 in vacation money? It just doesnt seem right that they take this money out of his check but never paid it.

His employers wife told us that the money never existed except for on paper. Is that even legal?

Do we take them to small claims court or is there a state agency that handles these things?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, the agency is the US DOL. You can give them a call on Wednesday (they might be open on Monday but I wouldn't count on it).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">