• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Benefits never receive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eddierbarrera

I applied for benefits from my employer for me and my wife. They got me benefits but my wife nerver got the benefits. I was being charge for it, when i called my employeer they informed me they called me but i never got a called or email or letter from them regarding missing information. When I applied last year they had all the information regarding my martial status. The Benefits manager said they tried contacting me 3 times which they never did. Now they dont want to add my wife to my benefits. He informed me only if i have qualify events they can add her to the benefits. Which she needs medical attention due to she is expecting and she has history of pre-eclampsia. she needs medical attention can they withhold her benefits?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

I hate to say this, but the reality is her needing coverage is not a qualifying event. A marriage is, but you are already married past 30 days, right? The birth of the baby is a qualifying event, but you want Pre-natal care which you still don't qualify for.

Honestly, you dropped the ball when you didn't follow up after not receiving confirmation of your wife being placed on your insurance.

If you have proof you submitted all required documentation, within the time frame required, and you are being charged the full coverage amount for a dependent, then I would keep moving higher up that ladder to either be reimbursed, or to have coverage reactively unstated. Chances are, they'd rather do the coverage. Keep moving up.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If I had a dollar for every time an employee told me I'd never contacted him or her about something and I was able to pull out a copy of the notification with their signature on it, or show them the archived e-mails sent to their address, or something of the sort, I could retire. I rather imagine your employer will be able to provide evidence of their attempts to contact you.

Federal law prohibits an employer from adding or subtracting an employee or dependent from the coverage other than at intial eligibility, at open enrollment, or at the time of a qualifying event.

If the employer did not receive all the necessary information at the time, they are prohibited by law from adding your wife to the plan until the next open enrollment period or qualifying event.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
True, but in this case it really doesn't matter as long as he's anywhere in the US. The law I referenced is a Federal law, applicable in all states, and there is no state law that can make that law go away.

ecmst12

Clarification - the birth (or adoption) of a child is a qualifying event for THE CHILD only, not the mother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">