• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bereavement leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minno

Minnesota is the state that I live in. California is where our head office is. Our company offers three paid days for bereavement leave and the question that I have is the following: Please give me the legal defination of immediate family. My ex mother in law died, however she was my legal gardian for 6 years. From the age of 16 to the age of 21. I have been with this family for well over 20 years and my supervisor says that she was not immediate family. The discription is wide open in our mannual as to whom is immediate family and I'm looking for your help or suggetsions.

rmet4nzkx

Then call your HR manager, but for now you have a determination. I worked in a large company where when any one died related to a particualr group, they all were allowed to attend the funeral whether or not they even knew the person, where as other employees, not a part of that group, even if they knew the person well were not allowed to go and could only attend funerals of their immediate family. In fact, I had a member of this group as a supervisor when my mother died, I received a call shortly after arriving at work saying that she was not expected to last the day, her death was expected, I had to complete all my work before I could leave at noon while other employees were being allowed to go home early because it was the day before a holiday. My mother died in her sleep several hours after I arrived.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The legal definition of immediate family, with respect to bereavement leave, is whatever the employer says it is. The law does not dictate for whom the employer provide bereavement leave on behalf of, or even that bereavement leave be offered at all. It is entirely up to the employer.

Viking1984

Bereavement Loss

I recently had a death in the family, my brother. My employer allows bereavement leave of 3 days in state and 5 days out of state. Before traveling, I was told by a supervisor that I would receive 5 days of paid leave. The service took place on one of my scheduled days off. She included my days off as part of my leave. I later find out that I was authorized an additional 2 days off. She had me return two days early. Is there something I could do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Ideally, start your own thread instead of tagging it onto someone else's 12 year old one.

But the answer to your question is, not using any kind of legal recourse. Bereavement time is now, as it was 12 years ago, a matter of company policy. In no state does the law care how much bereavement time you get, or even if you get it. There is nothing illegal about including your days off as part of your leave. Now if you want to take it up internally, there's nothing stopping you from doing that and seeing what HR has to say. But the law is not going to be interested.

My sincere sympathies on the loss of your brother. I'm sorry you're having to go through this at a difficult time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">