• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bereavement leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ginger77

What is the name of your state? Florida

My grandma died last week friday. I live in in the USA, she lived in Hungary. My boss told me, that I can take the 3 days bereavement leave even if I don't attend the funeral. Couple hours later he changed his mind and said that I can't leave because I don't attend the funeral in Hungary.

This is in the company policy:

"When death occurs in his/hers immediate family (i.e. spouse, parent, child, brother, sister, mother/father-in-law, or grandparents), an employee, on request, will be excused for three (3) normally scheduled days of work (or such fewer days as the employee may absent) during the three (3) days (excluding Saturday and Sunday) immediately following the date of death provided he attends funeral.

After making written application the employee shall receive pay for any scheduled days of work for wich he/she excused (excluding Saturdays and Sundays) provided he attends the funeral and provides Company with notice of death or statement from funeral dierectoror obituary notice."

My question is: Am I entitled to bereavement leave even if I do not attend the funeral?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Florida

My grandma died last week friday. I live in in the USA, she lived in Hungary. My boss told me, that I can take the 3 days bereavement leave even if I don't attend the funeral. Couple hours later he changed his mind and said that I can't leave because I don't attend the funeral in Hungary.

This is in the company policy:

"When death occurs in his/hers immediate family (i.e. spouse, parent, child, brother, sister, mother/father-in-law, or grandparents), an employee, on request, will be excused for three (3) normally scheduled days of work (or such fewer days as the employee may absent) during the three (3) days (excluding Saturday and Sunday) immediately following the date of death provided funeral.

After making written application the employee shall receive pay for any scheduled days of work for wich he/she excused (excluding Saturdays and Sundays) provided he attends the funeral and provides Company with notice of death or statement from funeral dierectoror obituary notice."

My question is: Am I entitled to bereavement leave even if I do not attend the funeral?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
**A: the last sentence of your post from your policy manual does not make sense.

HomeGuru

I know, but I'm so confused.
I double checked, that is in the policy....
**A: you missed my point. Repost the section from your policy manual word for word exactly as it appears. Here is a hint....."immdediately following the date of death provided funeral". Does THAT make any sense to you? Did you even read what you posted?

ecmst12

And it looks like your company policy states bereavement leave is only available if the funeral is attended. Since you didn't attend the funeral, you aren't entitled to the leave.

Betty

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother. It seems though you only get bereavement leave if you attend the funeral which you are not doing. That is perfectly legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">