• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an employeer force you to take classes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mem811

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have been with this company for almost two years. The reason they hired me was because of my MS Office skills which are above the basics. I have a diploma in computer applications. So I am more advanced; the only one in my group. Everyone in the company comes to me with thier problems. Now they are forcing me to take the classes because they hired someone to come in and teach the class and they need so many people. I find this to be unfair that I already educated my self and because the others in my group did not I am being FORCED to take these classes all over again.

Any help is appreciated!

ecmst12

If your employer tells you to take the class, then you take the class, or prepare to find other employment. Your employer can tell you to do ANYTHING as long as it's not against the law.

Now if you are non-exempt, they have to PAY you for the time spent in the class just as if it was any other work time. But if they tell you to go to the clas, and act like you're paying attention, then you have to do it!

>Charlotte<

Lurker
If your employer wants you to take the class, you take the class. If you refuse, they can fire you unless you have a contract that specifically states otherwise.

In the interest of furthering your presumed reputation of being someone they want to continue to employ, it would be wise to not give them the impression that they have to "force" you to do this.

cyjeff

First, I learn SOMETHING in every class I take.

Second, maybe they want to round out the Go-to person's education.

Take this as a compliment (they are spending training dollars on me), resume fodder and the opportunity to do something different for a couple of days.

Not everything done to you is negative.

Beth3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have been with this company for almost two years. The reason they hired me was because of my MS Office skills which are above the basics. I have a diploma in computer applications. So I am more advanced; the only one in my group. Everyone in the company comes to me with thier problems. Now they are forcing me to take the classes because they hired someone to come in and teach the class and they need so many people. I find this to be unfair that I already educated my self and because the others in my group did not I am being FORCED to take these classes all over again.

Any help is appreciated!
They're not holding a gun to your head, so they're not forcing you to do anything. You can refuse. They in turn, can discipline you or terminate your employment. The choice is yours.

I don't see what the big deal is. They're going to pay you to sit there. The worst that can happen is that you're bored. The best that can happen is that (a) you'll keep your job, and (b) you just might learn something.

This is absolutely the wrong issue to take a fuss about with your employer.

Tallrat

I am in IT management and I get sent to a lot of classes that are not really applicable to my job in it self but over all gives me a better resume. Take it as an opportunity to add to resume and help out others you work with. Never good to out right refuse.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And to add to the above post, which I entirely agree with, no job is secure in the current economy. The more items on your resume, including being COMPLETELY up to date in every version of any computer application you can manage, the better. It NEVER hurts to be able to say you've taken refresher courses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">