• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canada EI - Staying in US for ~1 Month after termination...will I lose benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

metube

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Quebec, Canada

Hi,

I was recently terminated from my job in Quebec, Canada and decided to take a trip to visit my father and girlfriend who reside in NY, in addition to explore the job market there. I have been here for ~3 weeks and just sent in my application for unemployment insurance as I will be returning to Canada next week.

I received ~3 months severance, so I knew that I would not be able to collect for roughly that period.

Will the fact that I have not been in Canada for roughly a month affect my eligibility to claim?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What do the words, Only US law, mean to you?

Canadian law and the law of the US are not the same. As it is, you have happened on the one area of law where we do have ONE person who knows Canadian law. When she gets here, I'm sure she will be able to assist. Otherwise, you may need to look for a Canadian law forum.

eerelations

I am the Canadian one.

You will not receive EI benefits for the period you were not in Canada. Searching for jobs in NY doesn't count unless you have a US green card, and even then it might not count.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">