• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cashing out Vacation pay MN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drkurth

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I work for a retail chain that operates throughout the United States, my store is in Minnesota. For years I have been "cashing out" my vacation pay by having say 20 hours a day put on 2 days of the week, even though I work 5 other days. This would give me a total of maybe 76 hours on my check, 40 vacation hours and 36 hours worked. I do this to get a little extra money now and then, but a few months ago our district LP manager told my store manager that this was illegal to do. He said it is against the law, that vacation pay has to be used for time spent out of the store. Since then my store manager has stopped allowing all associated to do the same thing that I had done.

I understand that employers can have their own policies about how things like this are handled, so it is possible that the company does not want us to "cash out" vacation. I find that hard to believe after allowing it for so many years, and our LP manager has only been with us for around a year.

I want to know, are there laws regarding the use of vacation pay like this? Federal or State?

JETX

drkurth said:
are there laws regarding the use of vacation pay like this? Federal or State?
No, it is entirely up to your employer as to how they allow you to use your accrued vacation time.

xylene

drkurth said:
a few months ago our district LP manager told my store manager that this was illegal to do. He said it is against the law, that vacation pay has to be used for time spent out of the store.
Your district manager is an idiot. It is not illegal for them to do what they had been doing. LP man's opinion is probably based on a mistaken view that this incurs overtime costs.

HOWEVER, as JETX stated it is not illegal for them to have whatever vacation policy they want, even if their policies are based on an incorrect or incomplete knowledge of the law. I doubt any amount of education will correct this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">