• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change my regular day off for child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Centraljet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I work for the government and work 10 hour days 4 days a week. I have saturday, sunday and tuesday off. My tour of duty is 3:30pm to 2:00am. Only the senior employees got friday off who work the 10 hr work shift. I would like to write a letter to the Director to request my day off on tuesday be switched to friday so I can have my child custody from friday to sunday that states in my divorce decree. What can I do if they deny my request? Would the union do anything different to help me with my request? I know alot of females who put requests in to transfer from night to dayshift due to child care issues. I would put the request to be transferred to dayshift but I hate to lose my night differential, but most importantly I am a disabled veteran and I have alot of doctor appointments every month. How should I write my request without sounding like I am demanding friday off.

Proserpina

I work for the government and work 10 hour days 4 days a week. I have saturday, sunday and tuesday off. My tour of duty is 3:30pm to 2:00am. Only the senior employees got friday off who work the 10 hr work shift. I would like to write a letter to the Director to request my day off on tuesday be switched to friday so I can have my child custody from friday to sunday that states in my divorce decree. What can I do if they deny my request? Would the union do anything different to help me with my request? I know alot of females who put requests in to transfer from night to dayshift due to child care issues. I would put the request to be transferred to dayshift but I hate to lose my night differential, but most importantly I am a disabled veteran and I have alot of doctor appointments every month. How should I write my request without sounding like I am demanding friday off.

Neither you nor your Union have the power to force your employer to accommodate your visitation order.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
By not demanding it. You can request it (politely) and they can approve or deny. It's really that simple.

commentator

And I would probably work with my union representative and let them guide you on how best to handle this requesting process. They're usually pretty good at cuing you on how to most likely get what you want here.

All this garbage that's popping to the surface of this post about "I know of SEVERAL females who've had this type of request accommodated," and "After all, I'm a disabled vet!" ( I salute you, I appreciate your service, but the tone is still the same.) And the tone it sounds like you're putting out there is "I DEMAND you give me this accommodation, or I just might take some sort of action against you!"

And you know what? They really don't have to, and most people do not like to be threatened. You'd have a really really hard time showing discrimination if you tried to, so you really don't have a bluff to run on them.

Friday days off are usually the most popular days (particularly in government jobs) and are held for those who have seniority, etc. as a kind of soft perk. While your request may be reasonable, and you do really need it, it will be in your best interest to enter the discussion in a very conciliatory way. Let them perceive this as being able to do something for you that would really help out a good guy who is trying to be a good father and who could use some help. Do not threaten to play all the sex discrimination and disability cards if they don't give you what you want.

OHRoadwarrior

This is a situation where your BA can accomplish magical things. Discuss your situation with them. Often times, if it is not a seniority issue, they can negotiate it into another situation. What I find problematic is it seems granting this would give you the weekend off while keep another individual from getting any weekend time off.

Centraljet

This is a situation where your BA can accomplish magical things. Discuss your situation with them. Often times, if it is not a seniority issue, they can negotiate it into another situation. What I find problematic is it seems granting this would give you the weekend off while keep another individual from getting any weekend time off.
Everyone has the weekend off. I chose to work the 10 hour schedule so I can get the third day off. We have 4 options in different hours worked. But everyone does have Sat/Sun off. Like I stated above I like having Tuesday off. Days when a holiday is on a Mon I would have a 4 day weekend. I wrote this comment to get advice how to explain how to write a letter asking to switch my Tuesdays off to Friday. The assistant manager brought it to my attention because she knows that working nights affects my weekend with my daughter. I would get off at 2am and try to fall asleep. I would then wake up at 8 to get my daughter. I would feel like crap the whole day due to lack of sleep.
I could write a letter and get transferred to days, but then I lose the night differential. I guess I have to think about is the money making at night worth having to spend more time with my daughter.
I wasnt even thinking about trying to make a discrimination case. Its the way I explained it

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As long as you understand that this is entirely up to your employer. There is no law you can invoke that will force the employer to change your day off if they choose not to. Your visitation schedule is none of their concern.

I'm not saying they won't. They may. I'm saying that if they won't, it's not illegal or a violation of any protected right you have under the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">