• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Childcare Savings Account Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swjl587

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Not sure if this is the right section for my question (maybe Tax Law?) but I'll start here. My wife is a 1099 employee and I'm W-2. We have a dependent care FSA through my employer and have set aside $2,800 this year. I know that we have to give specific info about the childcare provider to the plan administrator in order to get reimbursed but do we also have to include this information on our tax returns?

Asking because my understanding is that a total of $3,000 is deductible each year so we would only be eligible for the additional $200 deduction (after the $2,800 pre-tax). If we want to deduct the $200, we need to include the providers name, SSN, etc., on our return but do we also need to report info about the provider for the pre-tax $2,800?

Thanks in advance

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Not sure if this is the right section for my question (maybe Tax Law?) but I'll start here. My wife is a 1099 employee and I'm W-2. We have a dependent care FSA through my employer and have set aside $2,800 this year. I know that we have to give specific info about the childcare provider to the plan administrator in order to get reimbursed but do we also have to include this information on our tax returns?

Asking because my understanding is that a total of $3,000 is deductible each year so we would only be eligible for the additional $200 deduction (after the $2,800 pre-tax). If we want to deduct the $200, we need to include the providers name, SSN, etc., on our return but do we also need to report info about the provider for the pre-tax $2,800?

Thanks in advance
Yes, you need to report on your tax return as paying the full amount of child care money you paid. Otherwise you will be taxed on the 2800.00.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">