• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collecting my pension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candles3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia Hello everyone, I have a question that my wife and I have discussed for almost a year now. the company she worked at for 30 years closed there doors on jan14 2013, she was told that she could not draw any of her retirement until she was retirement age or was disable. is this so or not ???? thanks in advance

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia Hello everyone, I have a question that my wife and I have discussed for almost a year now. the company she worked at for 30 years closed there doors on jan14 2013, she was told that she could not draw any of her retirement until she was retirement age or was disable. is this so or not ???? thanks in advance
There is no way we can know if this is true. Ask the folks who told for additional information/clarification.

swalsh411

I am not aware of any mandatory acceleration of eligibly for withdrawal if the sponsor goes out of business. If the company had not gone out of business, would she still need to be retirement age or disabled to take withdrawals?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The overwhelming odds are yes, she has to be of retirement age or disabled, and that would be the case regardless of whether the company went out of business or not.

candles3

I am not aware of any mandatory acceleration of eligibly for withdrawal if the sponsor goes out of business. If the company had not gone out of business, would she still need to be retirement age or disabled to take withdrawals?
if the company was still here and she was still working, she would need to be retirement age or disable to draw her company retirement witch I understand. so I assume her money is in a trust that is secure until she reaches retirement age, the company is going broke only has 2 out of 12 plants left. so how is it that when some people quit or get terminated from an employer they have access to there retirement at that time? I guess it just depends on the company and how they have there rules written for there pension plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">