• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confused as to dates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confusedonbene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My last day with my employer was 4/24. I received paychecks on 4/24, 5/1 and 5/8 which all had deductions of medical/dental/vision/FSA. Now I found out that my insurance stopped on 4/24 even though I have had the deductions. Yes, I have a call in and am waiting to hear from them.

My question. How does it work when employment stops but they continue to deduct monies to pay for it? What would be the last day? How does that work? I'm expecting some monies back I think.

I do expect to pay for COBRA.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why did you receive paychecks after you stopped working there? And, why would you expect money back?

confusedonbene

Why did you receive paychecks after you stopped working there? And, why would you expect money back?
Paycheck on 5/1 was for WE 4/23.
Paycheck on 5/8 was for pay through 4/24 & commission that lags 2 weeks.

There should still be a small check on 5/15.

If they weren't supposed to deducted the insurances, then I would expect that back. It would have to be changed from pre-tax to post-tax etc. I'm trying to figure out when I'm supposed to stop paying if the insurance ended 4/24. That's all. I would like to be prepared when I get a call back.

Thank you.

Zigner

Paycheck on 5/1 was for WE 4/23.
Paycheck on 5/8 was for pay through 4/24 & commission that lags 2 weeks.

There should still be a small check on 5/15.

If they weren't supposed to deducted the insurances, then I would expect that back. It would have to be changed from pre-tax to post-tax etc. I'm trying to figure out when I'm supposed to stop paying if the insurance ended 4/24. That's all. I would like to be prepared when I get a call back.

Thank you.
The 4/24 and 5/1 deductions are definitely appropriate since they covered periods you were covered for.

What did the folks at the company say when you asked them?

confusedonbene

The 4/24 and 5/1 deductions are definitely appropriate since they covered periods you were covered for.

What did the folks at the company say when you asked them?
As stated, I am waiting for a call back. I would expect the 5/1 to cover insurance through 4/30, not 4/24. THAT is what I am confused. I am sure the 5/8 check is completely wrong. I have a feeling that so will be the 5/15.

Zigner

As stated, I am waiting for a call back. I would expect the 5/1 to cover insurance through 4/30, not 4/24. THAT is what I am confused. I am sure the 5/8 check is completely wrong. I have a feeling that so will be the 5/15.
Unless one of the advisor's here is also a member of the payroll department at your former employer, then we won't be able to answer any questions until you know what happened. They could have a perfectly valid explanation, or it could simply be a mistake.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are operating on the assumption that benefit deductions always roll forward. That is not correct. Where I work, the deduction taken in any given paycheck is for the same pay period that the check is for. YMMV.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">