• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dependent care flexible spending reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suryavan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I had signed up for 5000$ of dependent care flex spending for yr 2014. In September 2014, I called up the benefits company and asked how to file a reimbursement claim and I was told to attach an itemized bill from the daycare to a reimbursement form and the 5000$ would be reimbursed after the end of the year. I filled out a reimbursement form and attached an itemized bill worth more than $5000. I did not put any amount on the reimbursement claim because I was attaching the itemized bill and was expecting full reimbursement. I then emailed it to the benefits company. It is my mistake that I forgot to confirm that I got the reimbursement. Today, for some other reason I called the company and I found out that only one month expenses (~1000$) from yr 2014 were reimbursed. The reason given was that I had put a "service date" on the reimbursement form and I was reimbursed only for that month (I thought I was putting in the date of the last daycare payment). Can I file an appeal in this case to get the rest of my money back? I understand the deadline for reimbursement has passed, but I had sent the itemized bill worth more than $5000 last year. Would that help my case?

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Federal law sets the requirements for submitting a claim. One of the requirements is that you provide receipts showing the dates of service. Your HR department or administrator will be able to provide you with the appeals process, but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting success. The Feds are very rigid about FSAs because of the pre-tax element.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">