• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee/Employer Contract Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toddbailey

Hi All,

I have a possible breach of contract issue/ failure to provide service.
Back in July I went to work as a contract employee. I had to sign a formal employment contract that included a NDA, all work is property of the company, 6 month non compete, etc. All pretty much a standard package provided to contractors. As part of the employee package an entire page of benefits offered including a 1500 hour longevity bonus. Now almost 1400 hours later, after making an inquiry into the bonus, I'm told that I don't qualify for most of the benefits because the agency wasn't contracted to fill the position. They stated they were doing a favor cause the company has a good relationship and that they only are providing payroll services.

In addition I'm now being told that several other benefits are null and void
Since my employee package contains references to these benefits do I have a legal point to persue the issue?

Btw: The bonus amount is $500 and while not a excessive amount it's still not exactly pocket change. Please advise.. thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry, this site is for US Law Only.

I am curious though - who provided this employment contract?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The bottom line answer to any question involving a potential contract breach is: We cannot address questions about a contract we have not read. Please show the contract to an attorney in your state for review.

toddbailey

Thanks, I will take this under advisement.
The trick is to find a laywer I can email the package to and have them review the case at no cost.

swalsh411

Lawyers generally don't work for free for anonymous clients they have never meet. (at least the good ones don't). You will probably have to meet with one in person. The initial consultation should be free. If you have a good case they may represent you on contingency. Or they may be willing to write a strongly worded letter for a reasonable fee and avoid the need to sue all together.

ecmst12

For this type of case, if a free consultation is offered it won't involve reading/interpreting the contract. Rather than a contingency agreement, it would be a fee for service arrangement - you pay for an hour (or so) of their time, they read the contract and look into local court decisions, and advise you if you have a case to go any further. Then you go from there. This is the sort of thing you should expect to pay for.

W

Willlyjo

Thanks, I will take this under advisement.
The trick is to find a laywer I can email the package to and have them review the case at no cost.
You could go online and check out attorney websites in your area. Such websites contain a message box in which you can give a brief account of your issues. If they are interested in your situation, they will contact you for an appointment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">