• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer aiding marital separation expenses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gretch30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Do I have any grounds to sue spouse's employer when the employer is established free housing, a company vehicle for personal use, and I believe they probably referred my spouse out to an attorney they have a relationship with upon my finding out my spouse would be moving out of our home? I'm curious because my spouse has had personal ups and downs throughout our marriage and I have reason to believe the current employer is facilitating a successful, affordable separation for him. On one hand, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme because how many times should a person have to go through this in a marriage. On the other hand, if my spouse is going through another "cycle" as I call it, then I feel like the employer is interfering and allowing the spouse options based on their own desire to retain my spouse as a needed employee there as opposed to a concern for mental well-being and family matters. My spouse also works many, many hours to make the earnings (which aren't near what should be getting paid in the first place with the credentials my spouse has), but it is serving the company very well as from what my spouse tells me the employer reaps many rewards from my spouse's credentials.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. You don't.

Any benefits provided by the employer to their employee is between them. Employee Assistances programs, in which an employee is entitled to free or low cost legal and financial advice, mortgage or housing assistance, and various other perks, are legal, common, and NOT considered "interference".

Betty

Agree, there is nothing illegal with an employer providing an employee with benefits whatever they may be. You have nothing to sue the employer for.

Sorry.

Beth3

Agreed. Your spouse's employer can provide him with any benefits they choose to. Whether they happen to assist him in leaving his marriage is irrelevant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">