• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Fighting Unemployment Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CaliforniaGrad

What is the name of your state? California, specifically Los Angeles.

I had been receiving unemployment benefits until I was notified my employer was contesting my claim on the basis that I provided a "false statement in order to obtain benefits".

I put that I was fired due to "company downsizing", which was wrong and incorrect. I'm a recent college grad and didn't know why I was fired...I was never warned and was told that they were letting me go because "I wasn't passionate about the position". When contacted by the EDD I recounted the "company downsizing" claim and stated I was fired because the company wanted to "restructure the position". In effect - my benefits were reinstated.

I thought all was fine UNTIL...
I received a letter from the EDD with a court date stating the company is still fighitng my EDD claim on the basis of "misconduct".

On the EDD appeal form the company signed they state I was fired for "misconduct related to my performance on duty". Specifically, that I was discharged due to neglect in reducing their expenses on venue contracts equivalent to my bi-weekly salary of roughly 2000$.

My question is will this stand in court?
I was originally hired on the basis that I would be working on reducing their expenses on venue contracts, but was trained for 2 weeks to do bank reconciliations and administer benefits and check distribution-which became part of my job. I was never told I HAD to reduce their operating cost equal to my bi-weekly salary. I was never told I was doing a bad job. I reduced their expenses, and reported it to them.

Does a company have to give formal warning before they fire you?
I never recall receiving any warning that I would be fired AND I was never written up in writing.

How likely is it, that the court will rescind my benefts?

I only worked there for 6 months before they let me go! I never had a chance to prove myself.
In those 6 months, my job role became less and less specific. They kept giving me additional high-volume work such as hiring 8 new employees (4 of which would be VP roles), answering sales calls-processing orders, handling customer shipments and providing answer to problems, all while working as their accountant handling purchases, reconcilliations and payroll.

I wonder if they will be able to win this case based on their claim that I didn't perform the reduction in their expenses?

What will I need to bring to court as evidence to prove my case that I wasn't given a reasonable chance to perform within those 6 months?

How will the fact that I initially said I was fired on company downsizing affect my claim?
(Note: I was never told "specifically" why I was being fired.)

Will this help me (see below)????
In addition, I contacted this same employer 2 weeks ago and he agreed to be a professional reference and write a recommendation letter. Should I mention this in court? I don't want to ruin that opportunity.

Any legal advise on this situation will be greatly appreciated.

CaliforniaGrad

My apologies.. I wasn't sure if it was in the right forum.
I also wasn't receiving any informational responses......you were the only one that replied and your one liner that didn't answer my question.

Hoping to get a good response!

mlane58

What is the name of your state? California, specifically Los Angeles.

I had been receiving unemployment benefits until I was notified my employer was contesting my claim on the basis that I provided a "false statement in order to obtain benefits".

I put that I was fired due to "company downsizing", which was wrong and incorrect. I'm a recent college grad and didn't know why I was fired...I was never warned and was told that they were letting me go because "I wasn't passionate about the position". When contacted by the EDD I recounted the "company downsizing" claim and stated I was fired because the company wanted to "restructure the position". In effect - my benefits were reinstated.

I thought all was fine UNTIL...
I received a letter from the EDD with a court date stating the company is still fighitng my EDD claim on the basis of "misconduct".

On the EDD appeal form the company signed they state I was fired for "misconduct related to my performance on duty". Specifically, that I was discharged due to neglect in reducing their expenses on venue contracts equivalent to my bi-weekly salary of roughly 2000$.

My question is will this stand in court?
I was originally hired on the basis that I would be working on reducing their expenses on venue contracts, but was trained for 2 weeks to do bank reconciliations and administer benefits and check distribution-which became part of my job. I was never told I HAD to reduce their operating cost equal to my bi-weekly salary. I was never told I was doing a bad job. I reduced their expenses, and reported it to them.

Does a company have to give formal warning before they fire you?
I never recall receiving any warning that I would be fired AND I was never written up in writing.

How likely is it, that the court will rescind my benefts?

I only worked there for 6 months before they let me go! I never had a chance to prove myself.
In those 6 months, my job role became less and less specific. They kept giving me additional high-volume work such as hiring 8 new employees (4 of which would be VP roles), answering sales calls-processing orders, handling customer shipments and providing answer to problems, all while working as their accountant handling purchases, reconcilliations and payroll.

I wonder if they will be able to win this case based on their claim that I didn't perform the reduction in their expenses?

What will I need to bring to court as evidence to prove my case that I wasn't given a reasonable chance to perform within those 6 months?

How will the fact that I initially said I was fired on company downsizing affect my claim?
(Note: I was never told "specifically" why I was being fired.)

Will this help me (see below)????
In addition, I contacted this same employer 2 weeks ago and he agreed to be a professional reference and write a recommendation letter. Should I mention this in court? I don't want to ruin that opportunity.

Any legal advise on this situation will be greatly appreciated.
The burden falls on the employer to prove you were terminated for misconduct and since you were given any sort of corrective action, it will almost impossible for them to prevail. Just be honest and answer the questions calmly and yes, mention the reference and recommendation letter. One point is, DO NOT interrupt the hearing office, make any sort of comments or say anything unless you are directly asked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">