• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poorboy3445

Hello. So i participated in my employers health insurance buyout this year. My wife and I decided to go on her health insurance plan and I did the buyout with my employer. I completed the paperwork last summer and was paid the buyout this summer. The problem is that my wife's job went down to part time back in October. Technically we were supposed to be on her insurance for the entire year. We needed the money and i decided to just stay off of my insurance for the remainder of the year. But now I would like to get back on my company's insurance and when I asked HR they asked when my wife's insurance ended. I panicked and told them it ended this July not October. I was afraid of getting in trouble for not telling them sooner we weren't covered. I know this was a stupid mistake and I'm now worried about telling my employer the truth. Will i have to pay back my buyout? Will there be other consequences like fines etc? Thank you for any help you can offer. I'm very sorry for not being honest immediately with them but it's been a very difficult year and i wasn't thinking straight
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Tell us about this health insurance buyout.

FYI, by law you can only join your insurance within 30 days of when your wife's coverage ends. If you miss that window, you have to wait for the next Open Enrollment period. You CANNOT just re-join at any time.

poorboy3445

well I spoke to my union rep, it looks like I overreacted. I'm under no obligation to carry health insurance I will just have to take the 90 day penalty to get back on my insurance.

Stephen1

While your employer or union may not require you to have health insurance, the Federal government requires most people to have qualifying health insurance in 2014 or pay a penalty/fee. I recommend that you go to www.healthcare.gov and read up on this. There are requirements and exceptions, etc. so you need to check this out yourself as your individual situation may make a difference as to what the correct answer is for you.

poorboy3445

While your employer or union may not require you to have health insurance, the Federal government requires most people to have qualifying health insurance in 2014 or pay a penalty/fee. I recommend that you go to www.healthcare.gov and read up on this. There are requirements and exceptions, etc. so you need to check this out yourself as your individual situation may make a difference as to what the correct answer is for you.
thankfully I am currently exempt

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">