• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer revoked employee discount for workers who receive state assistance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crafty35a

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hello all,

My girlfriend works for a daycare/preschool in Massachusetts. Her son also attends this daycare center. Based on her income level, she qualifies for a state voucher to help cover daycare costs. My understanding of the way this system works is that parents who receive this assistance pay a reduced rate determined by the state, depending on their income level. The state then pays the daycare center to make up for this lost income, although I believe the total amount collected by the center may still end up being less than what they would receive for a child whose parents do not receive voucher assistance.

Until recently, the employer provided a discount to all employees whose children were enrolled in the center. However, it was just announced that will now only be providing this benefit to employees who are do not receive voucher assistance from the state.

To me this seems discriminatory, so I'm wondering if it may be illegal. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you!

[edit: on second thought, should I have posted this in the job discrimination section instead? I apologize of this is in the wrong section.]

Last edited:

LdiJ

Hello all,

My girlfriend works for a daycare/preschool in Massachusetts. Her son also attends this daycare center. Based on her income level, she qualifies for a state voucher to help cover daycare costs. My understanding of the way this system works is that parents who receive this assistance pay a reduced rate determined by the state, depending on their income level. The state then pays the daycare center to make up for this lost income, although I believe the total amount collected by the center may still end up being less than what they would receive for a child whose parents do not receive voucher assistance.

Until recently, the employer provided a discount to all employees whose children were enrolled in the center. However, it was just announced that will now only be providing this benefit to employees who are do not receive voucher assistance from the state.

To me this seems discriminatory, so I'm wondering if it may be illegal. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you!
That one could possibly be discriminatory. While there is not a normal protected class here it is unequal treatment of staff. I don't believe that an employee benefit can be discriminatorily offered in that manner.

They could stop offering employee discounts altogether, but otherwise I think its problematic.

OHRoadwarrior

I believe as long as they apply rules on the benefit uniformly, they are fine. IE they cannot make an exception for one employee on the voucher system and not another. Hang loose there are a few experts who will comment soon.

Silverplum

Hello all,

Thanks you!

[edit: on second thought, should I have posted this in the job discrimination section instead? I apologize of this is in the wrong section.]
So you think it's illegal that she is no longer getting TWO discounts on the SAME service?

crafty35a

So you think it's illegal that she is no longer getting TWO discounts on the SAME service?
What a rude response. No I do not believe that, nor did I state that I believed it. What I asked is whether it is legal to offer a benefit to all employees but deny it to those who receive government assistance. Thank you to the other two posters who have responded helpfully!

Just Blue

What a rude response. No I do not believe that, nor did I state that I believed it. What I asked is whether it is legal to offer a benefit to all employees but deny it to those who receive government assistance. Thank you to the other two posters who have responded helpfully!
Is this your child?

latigo

Hello all,

Thanks you!

Why would you post in the "job discrimination" category when it does not directly relate to her employment? Which should also answer your question of whether or not the policy is illegal.

Suggest to your friend that she seek employment at another daycare center.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How do we know this is not a requirement of the voucher program? If one is getting discounted child-care, perhaps it affects their eligibility for the program...

crafty35a

How do we know this is not a requirement of the voucher program? If one is getting discounted child-care, perhaps it affects their eligibility for the program...
No, an employee discount does not affect voucher eligibility in Massachusetts, I'm quite positive on that.

crafty35a

Why would you post in the "job discrimination" category when it does not directly relate to her employment? Which should also answer your question of whether or not the policy is illegal.
That makes no sense. By this logic, I guess it is legal to have separate water fountains for employees of different economic status? After all, the water fountains do not relate directly to employment.

Then, legally, it not your concern. If the legal party wishes to post a thread she should join and start her OWN thread.
Sorry, if there is a rule that the person posting here must be the affected party, I was honestly not aware of it. If that is the case, I will certainly ask her to re-post the thread on her own. I'm not seeing this mentioned in a quick scan of the rules https://forum.freeadvice.com/misc.php?do=showrules

Last edited:

Silverplum

That makes no sense. By this logic, I guess it is legal to have separate water fountains for employees of different economic status? After all, the water fountains do not relate directly to employment.
LOL. Neither do double discounts.

So, she received the discount from the daycare. Then received the money from the state to pay for the discounted daycare. Was she coming out ahead?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, an employee discount does not affect voucher eligibility in Massachusetts, I'm quite positive on that.
We're not talking about an employee discount. We're talking about a person claiming they pay X and actually they only pay Y. It sounds to me like the employer has realized the error in their ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">