• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer wants money they contributed to 401K when i didn't want to

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fireswell

CA. I recently quit my job and on my las paycheck i noticed that i had a deduction i did not recognize. When i contacted my employer they said that they had caught times they contributed to my 401k when i did not. Are they responsible to contact the 401k company and get that money back? Basically, they have been shady with other things and I think this is another example. What are my options here?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, something doesn't sound right but right now I don't think we have enough information to say whether the employer has done anything illegal or not. Tell us more about your 401(k). Have you been contributing? Does your employer offer a match? Why do you think there should not have been a deduction from your final check?

fireswell

I had been contributing and they had been matching a percentage of my contribution. During the period in question i had told them I did not want to contribute for awhile due to being low on income. So for several months i did not have any contributions ( verified by looking at statement) They had contributed some money during that time that i didn't know about. Basically, i didn't know anything about it or told anything until I saw the deduction on my last check. No. i don't think i should have had the deduction in my check. Why is it my responsibility for money the accidentally put in. If i wanted to pay them back and so chose to pull the money out of my 401k I would get a fee. I know that I can just suck it up and its all good in the long run but basically that week i got paid for was basically for free cause they pulled all this money out.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not saying it's your responsibility. I'm asking questions so that I can get a feel of the situation, that's all.

Geez.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">