• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding an old 401k

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asianflayva

What is the name of your state? California

I am looking for a 401k from an old company.
I have the name of the organization that handled our 401k, but they are out of business.
I have contacted my old employer and they have no records.
What do I do now?

Jenifer

Beth3

Wow. So presumably employee and employer contributions were directed to an investment advisor and now the funds cannot be accounted for? That's not good. The money went SOMEWHERE.

I suggest you contact the federal Department of Labor (who have jurisdiction over employer-sponsored retirement plans) and see if they can help you. 202-693-4650.

Are you sure you never received any distribution for which you were eligible after you left that employer? I have had long-gone employees contact me insisting they never received funds from the 401(k) after they left when, in fact, we could produce a copy of the check that was mailed to them years before.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">