+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006

    Cool Finding an old 401k

    What is the name of your state? California

    I am looking for a 401k from an old company.
    I have the name of the organization that handled our 401k, but they are out of business.
    I have contacted my old employer and they have no records.
    What do I do now?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Wow. So presumably employee and employer contributions were directed to an investment advisor and now the funds cannot be accounted for? That's not good. The money went SOMEWHERE.

    I suggest you contact the federal Department of Labor (who have jurisdiction over employer-sponsored retirement plans) and see if they can help you. 202-693-4650.

    Are you sure you never received any distribution for which you were eligible after you left that employer? I have had long-gone employees contact me insisting they never received funds from the 401(k) after they left when, in fact, we could produce a copy of the check that was mailed to them years before.

    A person, who is nice to you, but rude to a waiter, is not a nice person. (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)
  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Il.(near StL, Mo.)
    There is also a SECURE website where you can go & type in your SS # & they will check to see if there might be a "lost" 401k under your SS# - it's a web site that has unclaimed retirement benefits reported to it. [url]https://www.unclaimedretirementbenefits.com/[/url]

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-12-2009, 12:49 AM
  2. Finding a NCP
    By ldkuhns in forum Child Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 09:31 PM
  3. finding something of value
    By fredrico in forum Other Real Estate Law Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2006, 03:12 PM
  4. Finding another job
    By cherie316 in forum Workplace Injuries & Worker’s Compensation
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 11:57 AM
  5. finding my son
    By ladyboo23 in forum Marriage, Domestic Partnerships and Other Family Law Matters
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2001, 12:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.