• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fmla

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scouch77

I'm an RN hired into a full time weekend work position( meaning I work 12 hours sat and sunday and am considered full time) by a hospital trying to start an open heart program. During the interview process ,I was verbally assured that to attract qualified nurses they were making it a closed( no float) unit with garunteed hours for the first year. This hasn't been the case. They also offered a retention bonus. The contracted stated that I agreed to work my schedualed hours for 18 months. If I leave for any reason I have to pay them back in full, including taxes. They overhired and for the past few months I'm schedualled sat and sun 12 hours but routinely cancelled at least one of these days. My husband and I want to have a baby, but I am concerned. Do these canceled hours count toward the 1250 hour eligability required by fmla. and if not, do I have any other option besides paying them back or working for the term of the bonusWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mlane58

Simple answer is no, only hours worked count toward FMLA. By my calcuations, even if the employer hadn't cancelled some of your hours, you would have missed the 1,250 by two hours (no overtime included)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Only hours that you actually work count towards FMLA. Hours that you were scheduled for but that you did not work, regardless of the reason, do not count.

With regards to the "payback", we cannot answer that since we have not read the agreement. You will need to show the relevant documentation to a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">