• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced into leave of absence? Paid out all PTO?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NurseINnj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi All! Hoping for some help! Let me explain, i'm a salaried employee, work m-f. Last week on monday june 30, I injured myself, and went to the ER. I received a note to be out of work until July 7. I have 85+ pto hours, so i figured i'd be fine, plus the holiday was on friday, so i'd only use 3.
I plugged in my hours to be paid, including the 3 pto hours, plus the holiday. So for the entire week last week I had worked 1 day, 3 pto, and 1 holiday.
This morning I received my pay stub, and the company paid me out for all 80+ pto hours!!! My pay stub showed I was paid for 48 salaried hours, 1 holiday, and 80+ pto. I also did not pay into health insurance.

I called HR, they told me since I was out of work for more than 3 days I was considered a leave. She told me there is nothing that can be done about it, I am now scheduled to go away in 2 weeks on a vacation for 5 days. (I had banked more than enough hours!) HR told me I could cancel my trip, or take it without pay!!!

Is this right? How did it happen? How can I be FORCED into having PTO paid out? It's not even like I can enjoy the payout, since most of the money went to taxes.

Please advise, HR has yet to return any phone calls and i'm in a panic.

Just Blue

Hi All! Hoping for some help! Let me explain, i'm a salaried employee, work m-f. Last week on monday june 30, I injured myself, and went to the ER. I received a note to be out of work until July 7. I have 85+ pto hours, so i figured i'd be fine, plus the holiday was on friday, so i'd only use 3.
I plugged in my hours to be paid, including the 3 pto hours, plus the holiday. So for the entire week last week I had worked 1 day, 3 pto, and 1 holiday.
This morning I received my pay stub, and the company paid me out for all 80+ pto hours!!! My pay stub showed I was paid for 48 salaried hours, 1 holiday, and 80+ pto. I also did not pay into health insurance.

I called HR, they told me since I was out of work for more than 3 days I was considered a leave. She told me there is nothing that can be done about it, I am now scheduled to go away in 2 weeks on a vacation for 5 days. (I had banked more than enough hours!) HR told me I could cancel my trip, or take it without pay!!!

Is this right? How did it happen? How can I be FORCED into having PTO paid out? It's not even like I can enjoy the payout, since most of the money went to taxes.

Bump so this OP can sleep tonight.

(see! I am really NOT that "mean"!! lol!!)

LdiJ

Most of the money did NOT go to taxes...yes, I am sure that a bigger than normal chunk did, but not most of it. That is an exaggeration.

It does seem odd that they paid you more PTO than the hours that you missed, but if that is their policy, that is their policy.

One option to adjust for the excess withholding is to change your filing status to exempt for a couple of pay periods. However you have to stay on top of things to make sure that its only for enough pay periods to even out the withholding.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm still waiting for the answer to my question. And it would help to know how many hours you generally work in a week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">