• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to take PTO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dk24

State of TX. I am in my 8th month of pregnancy, and my doctor decided to put me on bed rest, but has no problem with me working from home. She even wrote me a note to that effect. The problem is that my boss won't let me work from home, although I have listed several things that need to get done that I can complete remotely. She's forcing me to take PTO instead. It feels like she may be forcing me to do this to lessen the company's commitment when I go on maternity leave. I am ready, willing, and able to work. Is there anything that I can do?

pattytx

Your employer, by law, does not have to let you work remotely if they don't want to. And, are by mentioning the company's "committment", are you talking about FMLA?

mlane58

If you qualify under FMLA, your employer is well within their rights to have you use all available benefit time while being out on FMLA. Also your employer does not have to let you work remotely from home.

Beth3

I am ready, willing, and able to work. No, you're not - you're on bedrest. It doesn't matter if your doctor says it's okay for you to work from home - it's up to your employer to decide if they wish to allow you to do that.
Requiring you to use your PTO while you're on leave is perfectly legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">