• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Vacation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silver162

What is the name of your state? California

My company gives us our vacation time up front. From the day you begin working, you have 10 vacation days to use. However, they insist you use them all up by the end of the year. If you have any left over, they do not roll over. If your boss or anyone in HR recalls you having a day you did not use after the year has ended, they force you to use it in January, by the end of their fiscal year. My question is this: It has been brought to attention that I have one unused vacation day. My dept. is not allowed to take days off during a week with a holiday in it, so I cannot take my day off next week (Christmas) or the week after (New Year's). My boss told me today, Monday, that I HAVE to take my vacation day this week and that I have no other option; I am to tell her by the end of the day which day this week I want to take off. Is this legal? Can they FORCE me to take my day off this week even if I don't want to? Please advise asap! Thanks!! :)

xylene

What is the name of your state? California

My company gives us our vacation time up front. From the day you begin working, you have 10 vacation days to use. However, they insist you use them all up by the end of the year. If you have any left over, they do not roll over. If your boss or anyone in HR recalls you having a day you did not use after the year has ended, they force you to use it in January, by the end of their fiscal year. My question is this: It has been brought to attention that I have one unused vacation day. My dept. is not allowed to take days off during a week with a holiday in it, so I cannot take my day off next week (Christmas) or the week after (New Year's). My boss told me today, Monday, that I HAVE to take my vacation day this week and that I have no other option; I am to tell her by the end of the day which day this week I want to take off. Is this legal? Can they FORCE me to take my day off this week even if I don't want to? Please advise asap! Thanks!! :)
Your companies policy on no-roll over vacation is perfectly legal.

Your company can dictate that you use your accrued time before year end.

I do not understand you position. You would rather forfeit a vacation day and work than get a paid day off?

I'd be home watching game shows.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Actually, in CA, vacation time is considered wages and cannot be lost once earned.

However, nothing in California law or the laws of any other states prohibits the employer from forcing an employee to use their time. It is LEGAL for them to tell you that you have to stay home and use a vacation day, even if you do not want to. While they must pay you for any time that you still have at the end of the year, they can take whatever measures they wish to ensure that you do not have any time left at the end of the year, even if that means forcing you to take a vacation day when you do not want to.

silver162

Okay, so if they are insisting, I have to take my last vacation day this week. There is no way I can resist taking it and force them into paying me my accrued and unused vacation time?

silver162

I do not understand you position. You would rather forfeit a vacation day and work than get a paid day off?

I'd be home watching game shows.
Fridays are busiest for me, and the coworker I usually split my Friday workload with will be using up his last vacation day on Friday. If I take off a day during the week, it throws me back on working ahead to lighten Friday's load. Plus, I just didn't like the idea of taking one day off with nothing planned & then having to go back to work the next day...I wanted to take either Friday or no day. That is why I didn't want to take my day. Plus, I was just curious about the legality of it all because they were awfully pushy with their insisting me take a day off this week.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you have no legal grounds to force them to pay it out to you in cash instead of making you take the day off.

Hot Topic

It's perfect legal in California to carry over your 2007 vacation time to 2008.

A company can control the time when you take the vacation.

pattytx

It's perfect legal in California to carry over your 2007 vacation time to 2008.

A company can control the time when you take the vacation.
But the question was, could the employer force the employee to use a vacation day when he doesn't want to. Yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">