• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FSA Help Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

graci

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I had $5000 in my dependent care account for 2011 and 2012. Before filing my taxes I just went online to ADP site to look at my account to see if the amount for dependent care. It looked like my claim was rejected because signature was missing for 2012. I still have until end of april to re-submit that one.
But as I looked through the account I found that they had not reimbursed me for my 2011 account also. It looked like they received the claim and put the error as 'Signature date does not match the service date' and rejected it.
They never sent me any notifications about any rejections for 2011 or 2012. It was just on the website that they put the error message under my account.
I was wondering if there was any way for me to get the money back.

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Short answer - no.

Long answer - You had all of 2011 and all of 2012 to check your account, not to mention noticing that you never got a check. Contact your HR office but do not be surprised if this long after the fact and all the way into a second tax year since you submitted the claims, there is nothing either you or they can do at this time.

graci

Short answer - no.

Long answer - You had all of 2011 and all of 2012 to check your account, not to mention noticing that you never got a check. Contact your HR office but do not be surprised if this long after the fact and all the way into a second tax year since you submitted the claims, there is nothing either you or they can do at this time.
I noticed my prior year account because I did not get reimbursement this year. I think that they'd at least send me some kind of a notification if it is submitted correctly and it was just the date in the signature that was wrong.
Could I possibly contact a lawyer if every thing fails? Or you think that i have just lost my money because of the wrong date I put in the signature line??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
FSA's are very heavily regulated by Federal law, and that law makes it extremely clear that you lose that money if you do not claim it correctly. That is part of the statute that grants the right to an FSA to begin with.

Once again, you had all of 2011 and 2012 to realize that you had not received this money and to go online to find out what happened, or to pick up the phone and call them. The information was there, available to you, all this time, as evidenced by the fact that you found it now. Why didn't you notice it when you filed your taxes last year? How did you not notice that you never got a check?

While I would never tell someone not to consult a lawyer, I doubt there is going to be much a lawyer can do. I very much recommend that you talk to HR and find out what their procedure is in this case. But yes, it is very possible that you've lost that money due to your failure to follow up on the claim when you did not receive the payment.

swalsh411

While I'm not 100% sure what "Signature date does not match the service date" means exactly, you failed to follow the plan rules regarding proper documentation so your claim was rejected. These were rules you agreed to when you signed up for the plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">