• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting sued for tuition reimbursement repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

movemovemove99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I worked and reside in CA at the time of tuition reimbursement, but am being sued out of NJ.

I received tuition reimbursement while working in and living in CA. I left the Company and they are asking for the tuition reimbursement to be repaid. However, they are suing out of NJ, where the Company is headquartered. Can they sue me out of NJ? I previously lived in NJ but that was prior to receiving the tuition reimbursement. Also, what does the Company have to show to prove I own them money. No contract was ever signed. They are only pointing to their tuition reimbursement policy. Can they still ask for the money to be repaid based on a reimbursement policy if no contract was signed?

movemovemove99

So, what is their tuition reimbursement policy?
Their tuition reimbursement policy was that if i left voluntarily within a year I would have to repay the amount received within 60 days of leaving. i left voluntarily. They did not request the amount to be paid back until a year or so after I already left the company. They are suing out of a different state as to where I worked and lived. Can they do that?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Obviously they can do that because they are doing that. Whether or not their policy is enforceable is another matter. Take all associated documentation to an attorney for review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">