• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hardship withdrawal unpaid medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lizette1227

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I applied for a hardship withdrawal for the total amount available to meet at that time which was somewhere around $700 or so my total unpaid bills was over 4K. I submitted billing statements provided to me by my sons hospital he was delivered at and for his pediatrician. I filled out the application to the T it says to only list unpaid items services ect. So that's what I did. There were some dates that were listed on my statement that were paid in full and so those were not listed on my application. My application clearly listed what dates were in question and how much I still owe for that date. However, my claim was approved for only $171 with them stating they have to take into consideration all payments made against the dates listed on the application. Each statement clearly list my total balance still due. I Submitted a research request but was just told they must take into consideration every payment made even though they are not taking into consideration every service because I didn't list every service since some were paid in full at time of service. They are now telling me to appeal it with a plan administrator by mail and that it takes 90 days for responses and 180 for a resolution.. Is this illegal for them to deny this even though all requested material was provided?!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Assuming you are talking about a 401(k) or a 403(b), no, it is not illegal for them to deny it. Hardship withdrawals are VERY heavily regulated and there are a LOT of rules that have to be followed, not all of which may be the way you think. They are on FAR safer ground legally to deny something than to approve it, if there's any question at all about whether it is an allowable expense.

Robmoo

I wouldn't withdraw from a 401k to pay medical bills in Texas. They can't garnish wages or put medical bills on your credit report. Just pay as you are able. Most hospitals will not turn these over to debt collection for pennies on tbe dollar if you are making even small monthly payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">