• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Care Coverage and Last date of employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DesiDhakkan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Hello, I resigned from my company on 07/29/11 and worked that day as well. I have documented proof about 07/29/11 as my last day of work. However, my Insurance company states that the coverage end date was 07/28/11 since the employer provided 07/29/11 as the last date of employment and the coverage ended midnight on 07/29/11. Hence they are refusing to process my medical expenses that have happened on 07/29/11 for my dependent.

I would like to find out who is at wrong here? The insurance company is insisting that my employer provide them with a letter stating my last date was till 07/30/11 (Saturday) in order for them to cover till 07/29/11. Please help !!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What does the plan document (NOT the employee handbook - the plan document specific to the insurance policy) say?

Whatever it says, goes. This is not a matter that is determined by either statute or case law; it is determined by the terms of your specific policy. Whatever it says is the last day of coverage, is.

commentator

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

The insurance company is insisting that my employer provide them with a letter stating my last date was till 07/30/11 (Saturday) in order for them to cover till 07/29/11. Please help !!
What was the employer's payroll period? If it ends Saturday, they shouldn't have a problem with giving you the letter.

Did you have to leave to take someone for medical treatment? How did someone in your family end up with all this treatment the day you resigned?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It has nothing to do with the payroll period. It sounds as if coverage ends on the last day of active employment, which is quite common (and legal). My employer does the same thing.

Assuming that the poster worked on the 29th AND assuming that his employer's plan is written the same way ours is (which we should not assume) the letter technically should read that he is covered until 11:59 pm on July 29th.

I'd actually, however, be interested as well in why there was so much medical care on the last day. Unless it is an urgent or emergent situation, it is not a good idea to schedule medical care for the first or last week of coverage, for exactly this reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">