• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance Premiums

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlauer98

I recently started working for a company in Minnesota and will begin family health insurance coverage through Medica beginning May 1, 2010. My wife's company does not offer health insurance coverage, but they want to contribute to our family's health plan. Can her company pay money to my company to go towards the health insurance premiums? I had this arrangement with my previous employer and would like to know if there's any laws regarding this.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That is entirely up to your employer. It's up to them if they will allow it or not. There are no laws addressing this either way.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you thinking pre- and post-tax, Patty?

I am too, which is why I doubt that the employer will agree. It's also a lot of work administering it. But I can't think of any law prohibiting it.

Neither is there a law requiring it.

pattytx

So you would be paying less than other employees with identical coverage? I'm thinking the possibility of imputed income and possibly jeopardizing the 125 plan due to discrimination. I'm with cbg in that I don't know why your spouse's company would even consider this. Can't you be covered on her plan?

If they really really want to do this, they can pay her more (fully taxable) to partially offset your deductions in the family budget.

Last edited:

mlauer98

I'm with cbg in that I don't know why your spouse's company would even consider this. Can't you be covered on her plan?QUOTE]

They don't offer health insurance coverage.

A related question...Does anyone know of a savings account that money could be put into to pay for medical expenses? I'm familiar with HSAs and MSAs, but they both require a high deductible health insurance plan. I'd also like to avoid a Flex plan, if possible.

Beth3

Does anyone know of a savings account that money could be put into to pay for medical expenses? I'm familiar with HSAs and MSAs, but they both require a high deductible health insurance plan. I'd also like to avoid a Flex plan, if possible.

If you're asking about a tax-exempt deferral plan, those are your three choices: HSA, MSA, or a Flex Plan. Each has their pro's and con's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">