• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!! Need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scaredtodeath12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Hope I'm posting in the correct place. Please excuse the long post. I'm panicking. I recently got let go at my previous job that I was at for 8 years and filed for unemployment benefits and got approved. While collecting, I was working with a temp agency trying to either get a job, or temporary work. The temporary work I got was paid by check directly from the place I did the temp work for off the books (no taxes taken out). I did not claim this work when filing every week. I know it was wrong! Desperation and trying to keep your home leads you to do some stupid crap!! Well, here I am today, and I received a letter from the dept of labor stating they received information indicating that I may be engaging in activity that is considered work and/or may generate other business income and that they are investigating the matter. I don't know what to do. Do I just call and fess up? I'm willing to pay it all back. I just want it to go away! Do I just sit back and let them investigate and say nothing? Will I go to jail?? The approximate amount they have paid out to me is about $4000. I Cant sleep, I can't eat, I'm literally panicking. I don't know what to do and what will happen to me. Please help!

scaredtodeath12

Forgot to add

I'm pretty confident that the person who ratted on me is the actual temp agency owner bc last week she called me and demanded I come in for a meeting. I did not get to meet with her bc the day she called, that night, I had a miscarriage, then got into a car accident 2 days later and then needed a D&C surgery to complete my miscarriage (yeah it's been a really rough week). I'm about to lose it :(.

commentator

Okay, take a deep breath. Remember this, you have NOT YET committed any crime that will send you to jail, or even into the court system as a whole. You are not yet dealing with the court system. You are dealing with the unemployment system. Despite what many people on these boards love to tell you, this is NOT the time to get an attorney and clam up.

This is the time to reach out to the unemployment fraud unit, and deal directly with them. Confess or don't confess, it doesn't matter. They will have exactly the amount you made, when you made it, how much you worked, how much you claimed on unemployment, and there is NO way you can say you didn't do it.

Likewise, they will not give a rat's patootie how nervous or scared or desperate or poor you were that caused you to decide to try, VERY STUPIDLY, to get away with this. Unemployment insurance is not a poverty program, not welfare, not based on your being low income at all. It is strictly based on your eligibility according to the laws that govern the program. If you lied and did not report wages during the weeks you worked them, and claimed your full unemployment checks for those weeks, you did it. There's no excuse and no way around it.

However, you are not the first person who ever thought of doing this. You are not the first person who thought of doing this this year, this month, this week, or even this morning. Because the average person is often going to be strongly tempted to cheat the system, the system is not overly shocked and appalled when you do it. They have checks built into their system, cross checks, matches and investigators who work with this issue related to unemployment all the time.

And they do not prosecute every person who commits fraud. If they did, the court system wouldn't have time to do anything else and the jails would be full to bursting. They are much more interested in getting it stopped, in getting their money paid back, and they are going to have some sanctions that will be placed against you, such as extra fees and charges in addition to the money you received dishonestly.

But as long as you work immediately with them, are perfectly frank and willing to pay the money back, do not dodge them, try to play hanky panky and lawyer up and be the least bit coy, they are very much unlikely to recommend you to the DA for prosecution. They'd have to do that before you were in danger of going to jail. If they did that, that would be the time for you to retain an attorney. Until then, you can work directly with the fraud unit.

You will speak with an agency representative. You do not speak with law enforcement or the D.A. or the court system in the first steps of dealing with a fraud overpayment and working out repayment. They deal with hundreds of cases a day in every state. You're no big deal to them. Just don't be a problem.

Don't avoid them, don't whine, don't lie, and don't over-promise as far as your ability to repay the money. If you're still not working, and you do not have the money at this time to repay, ask about the possibility of a waiver or deferment of the overpayment. Some states will, some won't offer this. You'd have to provide very detailed income information, and you'd better be real honest with this too.

They understand that people who are not employed may not be in position to repay immediately, but they are used to this and will work with you as long as you work with them.

The woman who was paying you under the table could very well be in some serious trouble too, because unemployment fraud was probably involved in her not paying you legally, not to mention other tax issues. But I always tell people, even if this is a strictly cash only deal, strictly under the table, they can catch you every way in the world anyhow because people will tell on you. Just for kicks, people will always tell on you if they know you're doing something like this. Actually, one out of ten claimants is supposed to be investigated for fraud at random even if no one tells on you and you have no red flags raised related to the system.

. And if you're or called in on or anonymously reported, you're investigated. If you're not doing a thing wrong, that's great, but you were still investigated. Maybe you get away with it for a while, but they usually catch you later and eventually.

Read back through some old posts on this site to get a better idea of how this works. I worked for a long time in this agency and with this particular area. You did a stupid thing, something you were not going to get away with, though you did not have the expertise in the program to know that. But you can fix it without it ruining your whole life, if you act promptly and wisely.

So don't spend a lot of time worrying about who turned you in or how you got caught. They know. They know how much and how many times. Don't waste any time right now worrying about "Could I go to jail?" The blessing is that this has been caught fairly quickly and you have the opportunity to fix it quickly and without spending any more time worrying about it. CALL THEM. TALK TO THEM. LEVEL WITH THEM. WORK WITH THEM to get this resolved. And then of course you will not ever want to be this dumb again.

Good luck to you and let us know how this goes.

Last edited:

scaredtodeath12

can help but panic lol

Thanks for the advice. The 2nd page of the letter I got is blank and the top says:
Advisory for work:
You must report any days you work or perform services in employment or self employment when you claim weekly benefits, regardless of the type of work, the amount of time you worked each day, or whether or not you earned any money or other payment. Writing check, making calls and receiving emails or mail related to a business are all considered work.

To me this means they want me to write every day I worked and when. the thing is, not only am I dumb for doing this, but I didnt even keep proper records and trying to remember what days I worked over the past 10 weeks is going to be hard. Even if I do remember all of them, writing this and sending it to them is admission of guilt. Is that a good idea?? Should I fill this out or not fill it out and let them do their own investigating? What ways will they get proof of the monies earned? The temp agency can say which jobs they sent me on, but without a copy of the cancelled check, how will they have proof?

I really do just want to get it over with and am willing to pay back whatever monies were paid to me. On the other hand tho, I do not know if I want to admit guilt? Admitting to guilt means I willfully committed fraud :confused::eek: I am a mom and can't to go to jail :(

eerelations

But you did willfully commit fraud - you knew you were supposed to report your earnings (you told us this) and yet you didn't report your earnings (you also told us this). Ergo, you willfully committed fraud. Period.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They will have exactly the amount you made, when you made it, how much you worked, how much you claimed on unemployment, and there is NO way you can say you didn't do it.
The OP says he was paid "under the table". How will they have the information if it wasn't reported by the temp agency?

scaredtodeath12

But you did willfully commit fraud - you knew you were supposed to report your earnings (you told us this) and yet you didn't report your earnings (you also told us this). Ergo, you willfully committed fraud. Period.
YES! I am very well aware of this captain obvious lol. What I am looking for is advice on the best way to handle the situation. Desperation causes people to do stupid crap. I admit to being an A-Hole! You're response is not very helpful... but thanx

scaredtodeath12

I never said "cash"
yes, but cash is not as trackable. With a check there is a paper trail which leads me to believe they will find it .... or at least I think they will :confused::confused:
I really am not sure what to do. Just sit back and let them investigate and figure it out on their own, or just call, admit everything and pay. So flippin mad at myself for getting myself into the predicament. Seriously, it's embarrassing. Just hope there is a solution other than jail time. I really can't do that :( My daughter needs me. Yes, I know I should have thought about that prior to being an ahole.

Zigner

yes, but cash is not as trackable. With a check there is a paper trail which leads me to believe they will find it .... or at least I think they will :confused::confused:
I really am not sure what to do. Just sit back and let them investigate and figure it out on their own, or just call, admit everything and pay. So flippin mad at myself for getting myself into the predicament. Seriously, it's embarrassing. Just hope there is a solution other than jail time. I really can't do that :( My daughter needs me. Yes, I know I should have thought about that prior to being an ahole.
It's easy to bury a few checks.

scaredtodeath12

It's easy to bury a few checks.
LOL... how? In my backyard? lol They have been cashed already, so too late for that.... yes I did read the commentators response and it is very insightful. I am just unsure if incriminating myself at this time is the best decision. I think it's best I allow them to investigate and come up with whatever they come up with on their own... but I could be very wrong about this.

Zigner

LOL... how? In my backyard? lol They have been cashed already, so too late for that.... yes I did read the commenters response and it is very insightful. I am just unsure if incriminating myself at this time is the best decision. I think it's best I allow them to investigate and come up with whatever they come up with on their own... but I could be very wrong about this.
Oy vey!

It is easy for a business to disguise a few checks written to you so that they don't appear to be payment for wages.

Just Blue

YES! I am very well aware of this captain obvious lol. What I am looking for is advice on the best way to handle the situation. Desperation causes people to do stupid crap. I admit to being an A-Hole! You're response is not very helpful... but thanx
Well "captain obnoxious"...Find your advice with an attorney. lol...:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">