• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HRA reimbursement for hosptial visit before termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

startingover1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Not long before I was downsized (with severance and good recommendation) I visited the ER. This was over two months ago.

I'm just now receiving bills for what my insurance didn't pay.

I called the HR office of my former employer and they told me I was still eligible for whatever I'd contributed to my FSA and that I needed to call the company that handles FSA to see how much I was eligible to receive.

My understanding is that I am eligible for the same benefits (that is, full FSA + HRA) as if I was still employed because the visit occurred while I was still in good standing with my employer.

Can anyone tell me if my understanding is correct, or whether I have been misinformed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I work in employer-sponsored benefits, but my employer does not offer an HRA so I have never bothered to learn the rules. Maybe someone else will know.

Since the expense was incurred while you were still employed, you should be eligible to receive the full amount you pledged for the FSA UNLESS there is something about the combination of the HRA along with it that changes the rules. To be honest, I find the suggestion that you contact the administrator to be a good one and I'm not quite sure why you're hesitating. That's what your employer pays them to know; we have often sent an employee to our administrator for details. Your employer's HR is responsible for knowing the broad strokes; the specific detail is why they HAVE an administrator.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">