• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lied to about 401K eligibility?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ReadySteadyG0

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Was told I was not eligible to enroll in a 401k at the beginning of this year because I worked from January 2nd 2013 to January 1st 2014 and that was not "technically" a full calender year. I didn't think too much of it at the time but I decided to look it up on the IRS website recently and there it states that a full calender year is generally defined as 1000 hours of service which I easily completed because I averaged at least 36 hours a week for the year. My question is was my employer correct because it is maybe at their discretion that I complete a full year i.e. Jan 1-Jan 1 or is it by law that you are eligible if you complete 1000 hours of service regardless of what date you started that year. Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I haven't read your plan document, so I can't say. But even if it should prove that you are correct, why do you jump to the conclusion that it is a deliberate lie and not an honest mistake?

(The employer has no incentive whatsoever to prevent you from enrolling in the 401k - they obtain no benefit from having employees not participating. It is, in fact, to their benefit that as many employees participate as possible.)

davew128

(The employer has no incentive whatsoever to prevent you from enrolling in the 401k - they obtain no benefit from having eligible employees not participating. It is, in fact, to their benefit that as many employees participate as possible.)
Fixed it for you. ;) - former plan administrator

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Good catch, Dave - thank you.

However, that just proves the point I was making - it would not benefit the employer to tell the employee that he was not eligible when he was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">