• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mandatory participation in benefit program.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdh54

What is the name of your state?Illinois

Hello,
I am currently employed as a truck driver.

My employer is an HCR (Highway Contract Route) contractor with the US Postal Service - a private employer with a government contract.

The USPS dictates a fixed hourly wage plus an additional hourly amount for health and welfare benefits. My employer has the option of offering benefits or paying the money in the form of wages allowing the employee to get his own insurance.

I am fortunate to have a pension with full benefits from a previous employer. I do not need to spend $400.00 a month for additional insurance.

I have two questions;

1. Can my employer require me to participate in the insurance program?

2. Should the money for the insurance be deducted from my gross (pre-tax) or net (post-tax) earnings? Or should the money be considered earnings at all?

If the law should be in my favor please quote chapter & verse if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Beth3

1. Can my employer require me to participate in the insurance program? Yes.

2. Should the money for the insurance be deducted from my gross (pre-tax) or net (post-tax) earnings? Or should the money be considered earnings at all? That depends entirely on whether your employer has a 125B Plan in place. If so, then insurance deductions will be taken pre-tax. If not, then the deductions must be made after-tax/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">