• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maryland Unemployment Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sabreman30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I was overpaid but no fraud charges. Tax was removed from each payment but they are asking for the total without taxes. Is there anyway around this?

Thanks,
Steve

sabreman30

If you pay it back it will be like those payments never happened in terms of your own tax filing.
I have some follow-up questions now that I am near year end. I am currently paying back the overpayment in monthly installments. I have only paid back a small amount at this point. I am still not clear how 2013 taxes will be handled. Fed and State taxes were taken out but the overpayment balance shows total without taxes removed.

FlyingRon

If you are obligated to repay it, it is not income. The statement you got from the state for your UI payments should not have included that amount. If it did, deduct the amount you have to repay from it where you would have reported it. You still report all the withholding made (because you did pay that).

LdiJ

Thank you for the reply and information. When I received the bill for overpayment the sum was the entire amount and didn't reflect that taxes were taken out. I am still not clear how this will be handled at tax time. Will I receive some type of tax statement for the state of MD? By the way I don't have any other UI money. The entire amount has to be paid back. As you said this is not income.
You will get a statement in January, a 1099-G. It should show the full amount of withholding but not the "income" that you are repaying. Wait for that statement. If it does not show things the way that you think is correct, THEN come back here for advice.

sabreman30

I have to pay back the entire amount I received. I didn't receive any other UI money. Will I still receive a 1099-G?

Last edited:

sabreman30

Yes. 10char
I received UI money less taxes (State & Fed). I am being told I have to repay the entire amount (not what I received less taxes). This UI money (I don't have any other UI money) that I have to repay will be counted as income for 2013?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You got it, didn't you? Yes, it's income.
It's NOT income if he has to repay it. Once he agreed to repay it ceased to be. He should not declare the amounts to be repaid as income, but he does count any previous withholding from the checks he got as payments (since they were paid to the government and he's reimbursing the UI dept for them).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">